We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Required - Sandton, Johannesburg

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help Required - Sandton, Johannesburg

Hi Friends

Iwill be shifting to Johannesburg for 3 years. Can you please help in answering few queries :

1. What is the overall cost of living in Johannesburg. My office will be in Sandton Drive and will prefer to stay in 2 Km radius.

Overall cost of living includes : Fully furnished 1 Bedroom Room flat/apartment, A car , fuel for the entire month, food (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner), Insurance premiums (Home, personal and health), electricity , television and Mobile cost. Cost of having food in resaturant twice a week. Please give cost of living in local currency.

2. I am a vegetarian from India. Are there Indian Grocery stores in Sandton . Any Vegetarian Indian Restaurants

3. How safe is Johannesburg as a city to live. Specially area of Sandton Or sandton drive.

Can i consider shifting to Johannesburg for 3-4 yrs.

Please help me.

Regards

Nips, Mumbai, India

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Required - Sandton, Johannesburg

This is something of a FAQ:

search the Johannesburg forums for "cost of living".

No Indian supermarkets in Sandton or surrounds that I know of but plenty of supermarkets. There is a spice shop in Sandton City mall. You may have to drive to Fordsburg, Lenasia or Laudium for more exotic stuff.

Edited: 1:45 am, September 20, 2012
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Required - Sandton, Johannesburg

Restaurants:

wininganddining.co.za/gauteng/johannesburg/s… Closest to the Sandton CBD are the Raj and Bukhara but Bukhara is pricey.

Safety (VERY frequently AQ): Lots on the forums, but in a nutshell: Jhb, and especially Sandton, is the economic hub of the subcontinent and eight million of us live our daily lives here, so it can't be that bad!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Required - Sandton, Johannesburg

Hi Nips, not going to try to answer all your questions except to say that Johannesburg is a sprawling city well served with motorways - so don't restrict yourself to living in Sandton just because you will be working there. Although rush hour traffic can be heavy, the vast majority of people who work in Sandton do not live in Sandton as it is easily reached by car or the Gautrain. Johannesburg also has a large Indian expat community and a large community of South Africans of Indian descent who have been in SA since the 1850s. You will at least look like a local.

The long established local Indian community is concentrated around Fordsburg, Mayfair, Emmarentia, Greenside and Lenasia (with many new arrivals from Pakistan, Bangladesh and India). This is where you will find restaurants and spice shops although there is no reason why you should have to live there. In recent times many South Africans of Indian descent have moved to Johannesburg and settled in suburbs like Midrand, Fourways and Sunninghill.

4. Re: Help Required - Sandton, Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 09, 2014