We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Melbourne
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

I will be in JHB middle of October for 2 nights.

Please advise hotels in Sandton that provide shuttle service to and from the airport and also to Sandton Mall.

thank you

Sue

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Sandton is SA's premier business district - I would suggest that all hotels will offer an airport shuttle service or be able to arrange one. This will be to your account.

I'd suggest using the Gautrain to the Radisson Gautrain or the Michelangelo hotels - which are both right at the Sandton Gautrain station and very close or within the Sandton City mall.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Moloko Strathavon has a shuttle service (part of the Signature Life Group).

http://www.strathavonhotel.co.za/

Melbourne
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Is using the train to the airport safe?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

<Is using the train to the airport safe?>

Completely - lots of security.

Edited: 2:04 am, May 24, 2011
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Security and standards on the Gautrain are world class - other SA train services are not in the same league - check out www.gautrain.co.za

In fact the Gautrain borders on being quasi-facist - no eating, drinking, chewing gum etc... and strictly enforced. For South Africans who are used to rules and regulations being generally optional it is a bit of a shock - for an Aussie perhaps not so much

Melbourne
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

I am an ex-South African and I know what you mean

Sue

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

I think the R100 one-way ticket price on the Gautrain is an effective "security screen"!

Although maybe not. Using the Gautrain a couple of months ago to a business meeting in Sandton, I was pushed and jostled by a big tour group (from somewhere a long way east of Suez!) who all had to keep within 5 metres of their speeding tour guide! Not a smile or an apology for the half-dozen suitcase bruises in my back!

Very different from the smiling politeness that I get when travelling on a R5 ticket on MetroRail!

But the speed and reliability of the Gautrain beats Metrorail anyday.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Unfortunately the group you are talking about have a self-esteem issue and need to be as loud and pushy /rude whenever.Often helped by a bottle of beer or 4.

As I have 2 days in JHB I am thinking of the Soweto Tour. What do you think?

I have been away from S.A (Cape Town - Camps Bay) my home town - I do miss it. Any new ideas for a middle aged photographer like myself in Cape Town . Spending 14 days

regards

Sue

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

Brush - I would recommend a tour of Apartheid Museum and Soweto.

Although I am scared to think what interesting generalization you might use after for people in Soweto, like you do for those on train.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Sandton Johnnesburg

For hotels I would choose one within the central Sandton district all are within a few minutes of the station.

Radisson, Michelangelo , Da Vinci, Southern Sun Garden Court Sandton City or Balalaika are all good hotels.