We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretoria/Arcadia safety

Which Pretoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana, USA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Pretoria/Arcadia safety

I'm spending a week in Pretoria for the Confederations Cup, looking to stay at the Court Classique Hotel in Arcadia. I've seen elsewhere on TripAdvisor that the surrounding neighborhood might be unsafe. Any one have an first-hand experience on how "unsafe" unsafe is?

Thanks

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
65 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

See there is Arcadia and then there is ARCADIA - some parts of it are ok and others are best avoided. To the south west of Arcadia lies Sunnyside, which is the druggy, crime infested area of Pretoria - and you want to avoid the part of Arcadia close to Sunnyside. In terms of the Court Classique Hotel I drive past there frequently and there are plenty of prostitutes and addicts around there at night - I personally would recommend you stay somewhere in Arcadia Street - look at the Birdwood Guest House - it is also walking distance to Loftus (I assume that is where they will play) a couple of blocks but a more pleasant walk - and from there you can walk in to Hatfield, which has plenty of restaurants and bars, where the students hang out. In terms of safe or unsafe, I know of people who have been mugged or highjacked in the southern parts of Arcadia, the area around the Union Building is not particularly pleasant, lots of girls and drugs around there and you should just be careful.

There is also the Tshwane Guest House, which is a 5 -10 minute walk from Loftus but a good 25 minutes to Hatfield and I wouldn't necessarily walk that road.

Or try the Villas www.thevillas.co.za , which is opposite the US Embassy. Will be a good 20 minute walk to Loftus.

There is East Wood Village with some nice places to eat on the corner of East Wood and Pretorius Street, right opposite the American Embassy and I would stay clear of places south of there. That's my opinion anyway.

Enjoy

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

What about the Hotel224? We stay there for 2nights this June,taxis everywhere for us is it?

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
65 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

In my opinion yes - I would definitely leave valuables and bling at home and be really careful around there - I am not sure what you are paying but the Tshwane Guesthouse (which is in a nicer, if quieter area) is R590 - R800 per night B & B for a double (according to their website) and Loftus is just up the road (there is a bar at Loftus, so you could celebrate right there after the game)

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

I think they might all be fully booked bacause of the Lions tour?

I'll certainly try though!!!

uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

Booked into the Don Arcadia 2 for a couple of nights for the Lions Game in June,any thoughts on it's location, safety etc would be appreciated .

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

Bullet proof vests for all who stay in the Don Arcadia I'm afraid!!!!!

Your lucky though-cos we've got armoured tanks as well in the Hotel224!!!!

Only joking-I would imagine there's gonna be thousands of Lions supporters there on that weekend so safety in numbers I hope?

By the sounds of it,taxis everywhere!!

7. Re: Pretoria/Arcadia safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 17, 2009