We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

UK
3 posts
Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Hi

Visiting South Africa In January For Ist Time, and am putting together an Itinerary for a Fly Drive Holiday of 21 days

I have been advised to fly from Johannesurg to Kruger Park but I was just wondering if, by the time you wait around in airports you might as well drive straight there.

Please could somebody help, as regards the distances between the two and approximately how long it would take to drive.

Many Thanks

Saffi333

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
1. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

It will be about 5 hours, depending on exactly where you are going in Kruger.

International flights are seldom on time. They are either early, which just makes the wait longer, or late, which can cause havoc with your connectinf flight.

PS I hate flying and airports

UK
3 posts
2. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Thanks Lamlee for the information and answering so quick.

Much Appreciated Saffi333

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Hi Saffi333,

Like Lamlee said, it would take 5 hours to drive. Out of the airport, you'll get a highway for 100km. Later the road becomes a 4-lane, single surface for the next 100km. The road then becomes 2-lane with a full lane as a hard shoulder. There are road works (80km/h) for about 10 - 15km between Belfast and Machadodorp. The N4 splits into a northern and a southern path. Having travelled on both, I recommend the northern path. That road takes you straight to Nelspruit.

On route, you can visit Sudwala caves (about 10km from the main road on R539.

There are two toll booths, one at Middelburg (ZAR26.00) and at Mochadodorp (ZAR41.00).

The road is easy driving, but the scenary may be boring.

If you are driving, spot a traffic signs that says "Heavy vehicles wheels stolen" (At the first 80 speed limit 100km out of Middleburg.

UK
3 posts
4. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Wow Lanyx so much information thanks so much, really helps.

Saffi333

london
1 post
5. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Hi

My husband and I are visiting South Africa in January and we are also considering driving from Johannesurg to Kruger Park. Can you tell me whether you did it in the end and was it a safe journey.

Thanks very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Hello,

I did this drive once and would never do it again -- there are large stretches which are very monotonous, and after 5 hours itting in a car the last thing most people want to do is spend another 10+ hours sitting on a plane.

Personally, I'd fly to Joburg and use the extra time to visit the Apartheid Museum or do another interesting excursion -- there's no need to stick around the airport. If you do this it's best to check your luggage in early if you can to save carrying it around with you.

Cheers,

Julian

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
7. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Have tried it both ways and I guess if you can get planes that fit into your schedule with minimum hanging about then it is OK to fly but last time we had a 3 hour wait, which even using the Rennie Lounge for a bit of comfort was a pain and didn't in the end save us any time and personally I prefer to be in a car where I can stop and have a drink and a walk round far more easily than on a plane but then I dislike airports and spend as little time as possible in them and on planes. I agree parts of the Joburg - Kruger run are monotonous though some sections are quite scenic.

Whilst I accept I am very familiar with the route, particularly getting out of the airport and onto the right roads, I personally much prefer to drive it. So once again everyone has their own preference, it is just individual choice.

I would just add that it is easy driving for almost all the way and we have never had a problem from the safety angle.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
52 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

I drove it last spring. The drive there was very easy. If you do drive, Millie's is a great stop for a trout sandwich or to pick up picnic supplies, gits, or just to use the facilities on the way. Also, on the way back we were able to stop at many of the stops on the Panorama Route.

However, after all that, driving back to Joburg at the end of a holiday weekend, we encountered some MAJOR traffic. If I had to choose again I'd still go for the flexibility (and cost-savings) of driving, but I'd plan it to avoid high-traffic days/times.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
9. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

Hello,

You could compromise, driving to Kruger and flying back -- you'll save some money but won't need to stress about missing your connection to your flight home.

Cheers,

Julian

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16,810 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Fly Or Drive To Kruger Park From Johannesburg.

I have just returned from a SA trip that included a drive to the Kruger Park area. I turned off the N4 at Belfast and went via Dullstroom and the Long Tom pass. It will take about 6 hours on this route, to reach Paul Kruger gate, depending on stops and your pace of travel. There were road works in a few spots, but no great delays. The views were worth it.

You will be missing some fantastic scenery if you just fly over it. And one glitch in the airports could delay you almost as long as the drive takes to do.