We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bidvest car rental

London
Level Contributor
744 posts
58 reviews
Bidvest car rental

Hi

Has anyone recently rented a car from Bidvest? Via auto-Europe we have booked a Nissan Qashqai from Bidvest.

Cannot find much info online apart from the fact that till last year they were part of Budget but this is no more.

Any info appreciated

64 replies to this topic
Maniago, Friuli...
Level Contributor
171 posts
212 reviews
1. Re: Bidvest car rental

Hello!

I rented (but still have to drive, they're for May) 2 cars from Bidvest. I actually booked them from Budget, but it changed name in the meanwhile.

It really seems it's just a change of name. Bidvest was the local Budget representative in SA, but then Budget merged with Avis so they split the operation. More info here:

bdlive.co.za/business/transport/2015/01/27/b…

Cheers,

Michele.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Bidvest car rental

Bidvest is the old Budget. They had a license to operate under the Budget brand for the last 10 years but have not renewed that license and changed all their branding to Bidvest. Same locations and fleet as the old Budget, so there is nothing to worry about - it's the same company as the old Budget.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
1 post
3. Re: Bidvest car rental

I ordered a car online from Budget, but arriving at Cape Town airport, budget counter redirected me to Bidvest.

I explicitly chose a VW Polo, but they gave me a Toyota Etios, claiming it was equivalent because came engine and seating capacity. The Etios has been the worst car I have ever driven in my whole life. It was terrible in terms on cabin noise, tiny pedals, swaying on the windy Cape Town motorways...

I cannot figure out how I ordered a German car, and Bidvest consider the Etios comparable to a Polo.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Bidvest car rental

I have used Budget, now Bidvest twice. Exc service, invoice exactly matched the quote etc. Brand new VW polo although we asked for Fiesta. Not complaining. No extra charges appeared although final bill only emailed 48hrs after car handed back. Will def use again.

Be aware in RSA you pay the 'quote/estimate'up-front when collecting car. Adjustments made depending on milage etc after the hand back. I can only assume Budget have opened their own company here in RSA as business is so strong. Bidvest brand no really known but if same staff, systems etc I'll use Bidvest. very professional. Budget probably have a brand new team and i'll stick with the experienced everytime. But maybe Budget poached some Bidvest staff??

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
5. Re: Bidvest car rental

Bidvest car rental is outstanding... best prices, best service. I rent a car from them every week and have for over six months. If you specify your requirements, they go the extra mile to ensure your needs are satisfied. Today they delivered a replacement vehicle to my hotel because the vehicle I had didn't pair with my iphone... now that's world class service.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,313 posts
6. Re: Bidvest car rental

For those who are not aware Budget worldwide have been owned by Avis for some years and operate in many countries (the USA, Australia and New Zealand) as Avis/Budget, with two Brands. However in Europe Avis were an independent operation who were recently purchased by Avis USA. For many years, in South Africa neither Avis or Budget operated as direct operations. In both cases the brand was franchised to third party operations. They were totally independent SA operations but used the Avis or Budget advertising and Brand. Budget SA were owned by Bidvest, a major Financial, Foodservice and Industrial conglomerate. Avis SA are owned by Barlowold, another SA conglomerate who are, among other things the main Toyota Distributors for South Africa.

Bidvest and Barloworld do not exactly see eye to eye. So when Avis bought out Budget elsewhere in the European/Middle East region, Barloworld were unable to buy the Budget name in South Africa from Bidvest - but could not use that name themselves as a separate company. Bidvest then bought out the small part of the operation they did not own and now operate under their own name - which in South Africa is a much more trusted name that Budget - running a well regarded High Street Bank and Foreign exchange opearation.

I would expect Bidvest to consolidate a stronger position in the SA Car Hire market at the expense of the current leaders Avis and Europcar.

Edited: 5:28 pm, April 20, 2015
Perth, Australia
1 post
7. Re: Bidvest car rental

Have just returned from a trip to South Africa and the Travel Agent booked us a Bidvest car rental. Like you I could not find much information and a little concerned that everything would not run smoothly.

However I cannot thank Bidvest enough as from the moment we arrived at the SA Office, we were greeted by friendly, knowledgeable staff, our Toyota Corolla was in excellent condition and ready and waiting for us. The returns process is very well organised with little delay experienced.

Credit Card deposit held was refunded within the specified timeframe and only charges expected were deducted.

I would most certainly book a Bidvest car on my next trip abroad.

Hope you have as great a holiday as we did.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
8. Re: Bidvest car rental

I rented form Bidvest recently and must say it was THE WORST car rental I ever had. I filled up the vehicle 3 kilometres form the return station and later found a fuel charge on my final bill, despite asking the attendant that took back to vehicle to check that everything, including the fuel status is fine.

So they claim, they send it to the garage to check the details of the fuel fill in detail, and if there is even a litre missing they will charge you their fuel rate plus fine.... a decent fraudster way of making extra money....

DO NOT RENT WITH THEM.

Maniago, Friuli...
Level Contributor
171 posts
212 reviews
9. Re: Bidvest car rental

Hello!

I would like to report my Bidvest experience as well, which was actually very good. I was also charged some rands for fuel, but I refilled some 25 Km before the airport.

Anyhow, I had a breakage (problem in a wheel) while wine tasting in Franschoek (which may well have been my fault, as I drove on some not-so-great unpaved roads with an A3). I called Bidvest and they told me the Stellenbosch branch had only small cars and they would see what they could do. After a short while they called me again and they told me to wait where I was as they would switch my car. So a guy came up all the way from Cape Town, went to the wine tasting room to call me, helped me with the bags, and I had a new A3 in a matter of minute. All for free.

Super service, I'd say!

Michele.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
10. Re: Bidvest car rental

Hi

I hired a car from Bidvest in Namibia on September this year 2015.

Absolute disaster.

We pre-ordered a Nissan X-Trail, and were given a VW Polo with a promise that the correct car would be delivered later in the day, they would phone to arrange a drop off.

To cut a long story short we heard nothing from Bidvest and eventually got our hoilday company to contact them the following day. After several very expensive phone calls and a wasted day the correct car was eventually dropped of the following evening.

We were not the only people to be treated like this, we met another couple on our second night who were having exactly the same experiece. Further when we handed the car back there was yet another couple trying to pick-up a car and being told to take a polo and the correct car would be delivered later!

Our car was cross hired from Thrifty, as was the car for the other couple we met.

On returning the car they refused to release my deposit claiming a fueling charge, I showed the signed return form indicating a full tank & the receipt from the garage...less then 500m up the road. Again long story, but eventually I got a commitment, in writing, that there was nothing more to pay and the deposit would be refunded in full the following day. On my return home I found the deposit had been refunded less a contract fee, which I'm still struggling to get refunded.

IMHO these people are over selling, don't have the vehicles to meet their commitments and are trying every trick in the book to rip off customers. Obvioulsy others will make their own decisions, but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Reply to: Bidvest car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted