We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive & Accomodation from Johannesburg to Kruger Park

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic drive & Accomodation from Johannesburg to Kruger Park

My boyfriend and I will be driving in January from Johannesburg to The Outpost in northern Kruger Park. After staying there for 3 nights, we would like to drive back to Johannesburg and stay somewhere interesting along the way. Does anyone have an idea of a scenic drive we can take from northern Kruger Park back to Johannesburg, where there is a great lodge or hotel where we can stay overnight or for 2 nights?

Also, Is Pretoria worth it to go see during this time?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drive & Accomodation from Johannesburg to Kruger Park

Had to look up The Outpost, you don't get any further north than that!

It is a long drive to Johannesburg and I would certainly have at least 1 nights stop en route. After leaving Kruger head towards Phalaborwa, there take the R530 and head for the Strijdom Tunnel and drive down the Blyde River Canyon.Beautiful scenery and amongst the places to see are Bourke's Luck Potholes, lots of waterfalls (Berlin, Lisbon and Mac Mac falls) also viewpoints at Wonderview, God's Window and The Pinnacle. Carry on through Graskop on the R532 to Sabie there take the R37 over Long Tom Pass to Lydenburg take the R36 to Dullstroom. I know of a lovely lodge there called Critchley Hackle. Set up like a Scottish Highland Lodge with all the staff in kilts etc. The rooms are built round a trout lake (have a fish if you like), the food was excellent. From Dullstroom carry on along the R36 to join the N4 which will take you into Johannesburg. As I say it is a long long drive so you may wish to have 2 overnight stops to give you time to sight-see. I am sure someone on this forum could recommend other accommodation en route. I can assure you the scenery is absolutely fantastic. Hope this helps for a start.

2. Re: Scenic drive & Accomodation from Johannesburg to Kruger Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Johannesburg