We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

Can you please inform me if the plug sockets used in the lodges and hotels in Johannesburg are the same as UK.

We usually take an extension lead also as we have quite a lot of items to charge for cameras etc and don't know how many sockets will be in the room. Thanks.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

Voltage is the same but plug sockets are different- you will need an adaptor. The plugs have 3 large round pins, and are quite unusual and are not even covered by those multi setting worldwide adaptors.

Like this-

maplin.co.uk/p/uk-to-south-africa-travel-ada…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

South Africa requires a Type M adapter plug. I usually buy these kinds of items through eBay or Amazon, e.g.,

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171289834403?nav=SEARCH

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

Adapters are obtainable at any store in South Africa, which sells luggage.

There is one in the O R Tambo International airport. ( first floor.... this means upstairs from ground.. I say this, because some visitors confuse ground with first)

In addition, I think I have seen these adapters in the CNA (Newsagent), also on the first floor, in O R Tambo International Airport.

Edited: 9:03 am, April 25, 2014
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

You can get them in Heathrow airport too.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

we bought ours from Maplin, they are quiet different from anywhere else in the world, 3 round, fat prongs . Taking an extension lead is a good idea. Many of the guest houses provided adaptors in the rooms but better to take your own

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

Thanks for all replys. As in a group we take baggage and a personal chartered flight to Madikwe so won't have time at the airport.

We have ordered from Maplin so hope the plug arrives in time. Also we don't have much time at HEATHROW COMING FROM Edinburgh so bettter safe than sorry!!

7. Re: Plug Voltage in lodges at Madwike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2015