We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit at Johannesburg Airport

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Transit at Johannesburg Airport

I am arriving at Johannesburg Terminal A through Emirates from Dubai and will leave ahead to Luanda with South Africa Airline flight SA54 from Terminal B. Do I need a SA transit visa for terminal change or I can do it without that?.

Can I book my luggage from Dubai to Luanda in this case?

Thanks in Advance.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

Stay in Transit, do not enter South Africa.

The SAA flight to Luanda actually boards from Terminal A, not terminal B ( It is only the SAA check ins that are done in Terminal B)

Someone else will have to advise you on booking your luggage through.

Perhaps you should ask the airlines?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

I believe Emirates partners with SAA. One would think, therefore, that you could check bags all the way through. I'd double check with Emirates.

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

Thanks a lot. Acutally I bought SAA ticket seperately from emirates. This is the reason why they show Terminal B on the ticket. I think its good to check in online for Joh-Luanda flight before daparture from Dubai, just in case if the check in is not possible for Luanda flight during Transit?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

First, I've read that with separate tickets the first airline (Emirates in this case) may be able to combine them into a single ticket and book you all the way through. I don't have firsthand experience with that, however.

Next, again I've read there's a transit desk at jnb that can check you into your flight on SSA. Again it's what I've read though I've never used the transit desk.

But, if Emirates can't book you through you'll need to collect your bags after going through Immigrations at jnb and go to Terminal B to check in with SAA.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

You don't state your nationality, so it's hard to comment on visa issues.

However, I am aware that some nationalities do require a transit visa even if they don't leave the airport. I looked into this for a work colleague with an Indian passport who was considering a trip to Botswana. An Indian poster on another forum who is a regular visitor to Botswana told me he has to have a transit visa for SA, even if he doesn't pass through immigration.

There is a passport check when passing through the transit area, and also if you need a transit visa and don't have one, you won't be allowed to board your plane in the first place.

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

Thanks for the useful information. I have a Pakistan passport. I read that non-visa exempt passports must require a transit visa if they are travelling to Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana or Mozambique. However I guess that with my passport, I can make it without need of a transit visa. Its nice to know about the transit desk at Jnb, which certainly will be a place to get my boarding cards for next segment during the transit.

Luanda, Angola
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

Hi I was wondering how was it, did you manage to leave SA without any problems? Im in a similar situation, but travelling to Hong Kong via SA, angolan nationality with visa to enter Hong Kong...will I need a transit visa? MAny thanks

8. Re: Transit at Johannesburg Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 21, 2015