We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time between flights

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
time between flights

Sorry I am still confused.

We are flying from Livingston to Johannesburg and then Johannesburg to Capetown on the same day. Firstly SA airlines and then Kuluta. As both I believe are domestic flights how much time should we allow between flights to be on the safe side.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time between flights

Livingstone in Zambia to Jhb in South Africa is an international flight. However getting through Immigration when coming from one of the other SADC countries tends in my rather limited experience to be reasonably easy. To answer your question: 3, 4 hours?

Edited: 10:35 pm, November 02, 2013
Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time between flights

If we flew British Airways both flights would you say if we arrived at 3pm and flew out again at 6.50pm that would be enough time between flights.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time between flights

Will this be a single itinerary, or are you buying one ticket from Livingstone to Johannesburg and then a second onward ticket? I was under the impression that Kulula worked like other low cost carriers and did not do connecting tickets. I do not know that to be true, merely assumed. I would prefer both flights on a single itinerary. If something happened and you missed the connection, the airline will help. If they are 2 seperate tickets, then they are under no real obligation to you.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time between flights

I am now looking at flying both sectors British Airways to solve this problem.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time between flights

However, Kulula and BA are both operated by Comair, so there MAY be some degree of cooperation as to onward flights.

In fact my wife once flew Kulula, but the actual aircraft she flew in was in BA Livery.

OTHERS MAY KNOW MORE.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time between flights

Well Kulula is a very good airline and a comair flight, also BA ia a comair flight. and Comair is assocated with BA.

We loce to fly with Kulula.

Flying from Livingstone is an international flight, to Capetown it is a domestic flight. So I think you have to collect you luggage en before that going trought immigration.

But you will have time enough.

Edited: 1:57 pm, November 03, 2013
Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time between flights

If I was flying BA both flights do you think 3 and three quatrer hours would be enough time between flights or do I need to get a later flight and allow 4 and a half hours.

diane

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time between flights

If you arrive on an international flight, allow an hour before getting out of the restricted area, onto "land side".

Often, you need less time if you are arriving from another southern African country, but allow 1 hour, just in case.

You need to check in for your domestic flight 1 hour before flight time.

It takes about 5 - 10 minutes to get from international arrivals to domestic check in.

Therefore, unless your incoming international flight is late, two and a half hours will do.

Three and a half hours gives you a safety net in case of late arrival.

Four and a half hours is overdoing it, I think.

Whichever airline you use, you will have to collect luggage on arrival, and recheck for domestic, because you are coming in off an international flight.

The benefit you'll have, using BA for both flights, is that, if your incoming flight is delayed, and you miss the Cape Town connection, it will be their problem to get you on their next available Cape Town Flight

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time between flights

Hi again

Just want to confirm before I book that people think if we catch a B ritish Airways flight from Livingston 1.30 and arrive Jberg 3.15pm and get another BA flight out at 6pm to Capetown that would be sufficient time between flights.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
972 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: time between flights

Hi Diane,

3 hours is sufficient. I have done this in the past. Flew from Livingstone to Joburg on 1time airlines (Closed now). Cleared immigrations, collected bag, walked to domestic terminal and check in Kulula. And then flew to Cape Town..Even had time to eat at their amazing food court on joburg airport.

Hope it helps.