We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
529 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

Do they measure the bags for people traveling in Business class on long haul flights? We bought Osprey Porter 46 duffle bags which are just 24" long, but they only allow 2 bags up to 22" long as carry-ons.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

This is a shade of grey question and hence the answer isn’t set in concrete. I flew Business class on SAA from Perth to Joburg last September and not once did I see the check in clerk or the SAA representative located near the Business class boarding door inspect or measure any carry on yet I observed a couple with hand luggage which was clearly in excess of the specified dimensions. Now whether this had anything to do with the fact Business class was only 70 - 75% occupied remains to be seen. I think its pot luck as well but be prepared to be checked and you may have to have your bags put into the hold. I definitely know that for SAA domestic it is much more stringent especially as many of their flights are full capacity. We flew out of Cape Town back to Joburg and my cousin had a soft duffel bag which we had actually measured so she could put in the overhead locker for that flight and even though it was a fraction under their stated dimensions and should have been ok she was made to put it in the hold. That particular flight did not have 1 spare seat available. So there are a lot of factors influencing these decisions. I guess if you want to risk it be prepared just in case or get smaller carry ons.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

With the possibility of your duffels being directed to go in the hold, as in the case of Stargaize's cousin, be sure to keep valuables and passports on you, say in another separate small bag to ensure no loss of valuables and essentials e.g. meds at the other end.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

From their website their carry-on baggage allowance is for flights USA to South Africa:

"Carry-On Bag free -

Economy: 1 bag. First/Business: 2 bags. (max. 18lbs/8kg & 45"/115cm ea.)"

So each of your two bags should weigh no more than 8kg with overall dimensions (ie L + H +W) no more than a total of 45"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

56cm (L) 36cm (W) 23cm (H) it comes down to volume as well and who polices it. A shade of grey but either way Business class for long haul is usually pretty flexible for bags such as these given a few inches.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
529 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

Thanks for all the replies. We are also doing the Joburg - Cape Town route twice on this trip, also in business. The duffles we bought have straps that serve to squeeze the bags down, so we will do our best to tighten these down and hope for the best.

We are flying home on Brussels Airlines from Nairobi, also in Business/First, and their size limit is one inch shorter.....any experience out there on this airline?

6. Re: SAA Carry-on luggage size in Business class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 02, 2014