We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family holiday South Africa.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
family holiday South Africa.

Any suggestions please on an itinerary for SA,Im taking the family(kids 14/11)next year would like to do a safari in the Kruger Park & perhaps visit Capetown,any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: family holiday South Africa.

Jacqi, I note your comments about heated pools with interest. For many years it has puzzled hubby and I that solar heating is not more common, especially given that so many Northern Europeans visit in July/August (our long school hols) and the sun is usually warm during the day. our daughter invariably swims each day when she can when we are there but I am not that brave!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: family holiday South Africa.

It is not too common to have the heated pools (to my knowledge), do you think it would be a benefit if more lodges started offering this (for the winter months)?

Warm (solar heated!) regards,

Jacqui

Durban...
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: family holiday South Africa.

It costs an enormous amout of money to heat a pool in the Winter months in SA. Solar heating will never get to temps that are bearable for more than a quick polar bear dip. Trust me - I know as I have my own swimschool and have to use two heaters 24 hours a day to maintain my temperatures. Given that the average occupancy of a lodge is usually between 45 to 60% it would be a physical impossibility to heat more than the tiniest splash pool so that guests could swim.

Jacqui I always advise folks who can afford to do so to try and do a combination trip where they do self drive together with 2 days at a private lodge . Its so important knowing what people's limitations are from a budget perspective so any advice given is in the broadest sense. Hopefully those reading the forums will make an all round choice from all the suggestions and have a wonderful holiday!

14. Re: family holiday South Africa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 12, 2014