We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Luggage Theft a Big and Ongoing Problem at O R Tambo Airport in Johannesburg

http://www.causes.com/causes/814852-stop-luggage-theft-at-o-r-tambo-airport-johannesburg-south-africa?query=O+r+tambo+theft&rank=0&utm_campaign=search

Click or copy and paste the URL above if you have been or know a victim of luggage theft at O R Tambo airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. It leads to a website that hopes to spur South African Airways and airport authorities into doing something about such theft, the frequency of which seems to have been public knowledge for a while now.

Baggage theft is brazen and rampant at O R Tambo airport in Johannesburg, South Africa. Please help stop more travelers from becoming victims. You could be one of them. South African Airways, in whose custody the luggage often is when lost, and airport authorities appear not to be taking action about this anytime soon. It has proven difficult to even contact SAA to file a claim. A telephone number for the Lost Baggage Dept given to me by an airline representative was a voicemail that requested one to leave a name, number and statement. The message stated that the calls are monitored regularly and response prompt. Well, after leaving three or four messages and repeated calls hoping to talk to a real peron, I gave up. Five days later I still haven't heard from them!

104 replies to this topic
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

I must be lucky, in over 13 years transiting though Jo'berg I have never had a problem.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Travel a coiple of times per yawr ove OR Tambo, I am licky. But I never travel with SAA.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

So far ,so good for me as well, over many years, but I always wrap my bags when leaving JHB.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Lucky indeed. if you copy/paste the URL you will read sbout some others' experiences with theft. i too have traveled thru Tambo before but this is the first time I had to check a tripod and accessories because it was not allowed as a carry on. i suspect it happens mostly on connecting flights as was my case. I finally got a response from SAA when I posted the URL on their USA Facebook page. There are more reports from other victoms there. i 'd heard about Tambo's rep for theft before and finally fell victim myself.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Thank goodness we've also never had a problem but I have to say I never pack anything that anyone would want to steal when I visit south Africa but I do know it's a big problem and it's abot time the authorities did something bout it.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

Wow...

So lucky my bag was not touched yesterday. Or the countless times I've passed through OR Tambo airport since 1987.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

I have been travelling in and out of the country every year since I was born in 1983.. My family and I have never had anything go missing..

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

I have been a tourist guide for 9 years, and never have any of the thousands of clients I have assisted at OR Tambo, experienced any problems.

I include in that number, many many hunters, from the U.S.A. and other countries, travelling with fire arms and ammunition ... nothing was missing, or tampered with!!!!!

Bingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

I THINK that most of the tampering/theft from luggage happens when you exit S.A. the dishonest baggage handlers know how long your luggage is in their care from flight details on your sticky flight tags. I always have my luggage wrapped at least when you arrive at your destinstion you can see immediatly if it has been tampered with, [also makes it harder for a dishonest handler to pilfer] a few years ago Emirates had a baggage wrapper F.O.C. at the check in desk. Gavin S your clients if they had a theft from their luggage on their way home would contact their carriers not their guide in S.A., surely arms and munitions are carried securely from check in to collection.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant

And, of course, it would be unthinkable that theft actually had occurred on arrival at the destination after leaving South Africa!

Reply to: Airport Baggage Theft is Brazen and Rampant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted