We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from airport to Soweto

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vantaa, Finland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi from airport to Soweto

Hi. I'm travelling soon to Johannesburg and have an accommodation with Soweto Backpackers and would like to know how much in about should i pay for a taxi from the main airport to Soweto? Was thinking of other modes of transportation also but is it really adviseable to try to get there by public transportation?

Cheers!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from airport to Soweto

You could take the high speed train ( Gautrain) from airport to Sandton, then change trains, and take another high speed train to Park Station ( Downtown), then another train, or taxi, or bus, to Soweto...........

But, your most intelligent, most efficient option, is a taxi from the airport to Soweto.

Make sure you use only ACSA approved taxis ( they have a desk in the arrivals hall), and negotiate the price, before you get into the taxi.

There are a lot of skelms ( crooks, or con men) who operate in the airport. DO NOT accept just any offer, from anyone. but go to the ACSA approved taxi desk.

ihatetaxis.com/airport/…fares

I think you can expect to pay about R300.00 to R400.00 for this

enjoy your visit

regards Gavin

Owner: Serval Tours & Transfers

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
664 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from airport to Soweto

You can also take the Gautrain to Park Station. And then hop on the Rea Vaya bus to Soweto. The bus will run along the Soweto Highway, and I've seen signs from the Soweto Highway to Soweto Backpackers. They could even meet you at the bus stop.

3. Re: Taxi from airport to Soweto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 09, 2014