We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different Gold Reef City Tickets

singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Different Gold Reef City Tickets

May I know what is the difference among the following Gold Reef City entrance tickets : 1) R 160 ticket 2) R 240 Heritage tour ticket and 3) R85 Mine ticket?

If I would like to go down to the gold mine and take the rides as well, which ticket should I buy ? Noticed that only the R160 ticket is available online.

Thanks!

Phillipians 4 Four
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
MoAfrika Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Multi-day Tours
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

you dont pay for any rides once you have entered gold reef city and neither is your ticket checked. i think you may need to buy the R160 ticket to go on rides and visit the park and an extra R85 for the Mine tour..

you dont need to buy the tickets prior... you can buy them at the gate.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

To the best of my knowledge, the R160.00 is the entrance fee, into the park.

This includes most of the rides, and the 4D movies, etc. Certain rides, I believe, attract an additional fee.

The R240 heritage tour covers the cost of a guided tour ( not really necessary, as the historical buildings have information posted, and are largely self explanatory).

The R85 is the extra amount you will have to pay, to go underground, down the Mine shaft, regardless of what you may have already paid. I believe this also includes the pouring of a gold bar.

You can purchase tickets at the gate, but it would be wise to book the entrance fee on line, because they sometimes become sold out.

For example, tomorrow, November 4th, is already sold out, so one would not gain admittance if one simply tuned up at the gate.

singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

Thank you MadamBK and Gavin S, for your replies. So it appears that I should get the R160 and R85 Mine tickets. Will book the entrance ticket online as I will probably be going there on 16 Dec, ( I understand is a public holiday), which means the park will be super crowded ! :(

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

i love that you are super prepared.

ive been in peak seasons and ive never been turned away at the gate and neither have the que's been too long.. perhaps Gavin S has experienced this so rather be safe.

even still id suggest waiting to book online till a few days prior cause the weather has been extremely unpredictable and rainy since the beggining of summer... since everyting @ goldreef is outdoors you might decide to go on another day so keep your schedule flexible(weather dependent) and have a look at the weather report a few days before your visit

Edited: 11:24 am, November 04, 2012
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

I checked the website, before posting my previous post, and they had a list of rides NOT AVAILABLE ( due to maintenance), AND a large note, saying that Sunday November 4th was fully booked, no tickets available!

I was once there, as a guide, about 3 years ago with a large group of people from the United States ( it was a Jehovah's Witness Group of about 3000), and we had booked the whole of Gold Reef city for our group.

No one else was admitted on that day.

On another occasion, some years ago, the Hyundai company booked the whole of Gold Reef City for the launch of their new models.

Only Hyundai owners were allowed in !!!

Best to check the website before going!

singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

Thank you once again, MadamBK and Gavin S, for your suggestions. Will definitely check the website and take into consideration the weather before booking.

Just wondering.....in the event of bad weather, can I just pay to go for the Mine tour without having to pay for the R160 entrance fee ?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

I don't think so.

If I remember correctly, you need to pay the R160 entrance, as well as the R85, to do the mine tour.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather.

Our Johannesburg summer is SUPPOSED to be our rainy season ( we have dry winters..... the opposite to Cape Town, which has a winter rainfall season, and supposed to have dry summers, but there can be days where there is an exception, as with anywhere).

Our summer rainfall pattern here in Johannesburg is usually clear mornings, with cloud build up in the afternoon, then a heavy downpour, which lasts 5 or 10 minutes in the afternoons. This then clears up, the afternoon and evening ends clear, and fine, with the same pattern the following day.

Rarely, we get a "set in" type of weather system, which gives overcast skies, and occasional rain throughout the day.

Sometimes, the storms occur at night.

The rain can also be very localised.

For example, sometimes it rains heavily for 10 minutes ( maybe 15 or 20mm, or so), at my house, but absolutely nothing at my daughter's house 3 Km away!

It certainly doesn't "bucket down" for hours and days, on end. Certainly nothing like the Monsoon season at all!!!

There are 100's of buildings within Gold Reef city, where one could take shelter, if it rains hard for a short time.

I find that carrying an ordinary umbrella,which I rarely need to use, in my car, is more than sufficient. I do not need heavy weather gear and rain boots etc.

Edited: 11:18 am, November 05, 2012
singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

Hi Gavin S,

I'm highly impressed by your indepth knowledge of the local weather. Certainly most insightful to a visiting tourist ! Thank you !

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

Thank You.

I would have to be pretty unobservant, not to know about local weather,

having lived in Johannesburg for only 65 years!

We have very predictable weather here, but there can be exceptions, from time to time

For example:

although Johannesburg is 1750 metres above sea level, we do not get snow, despite the altitude, on account of the dry winter conditions.

That said, there have been some exceptions, with very unusual conditions, for a Johannesburg winter.

I have seen snow in Johannesburg in 1963, 1981, 2007, and this year 2012.

Shows the exception to the rule!!

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Different Gold Reef City Tickets

If we are 22 did we get discount?