We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique, representative SA gifts?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
74 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Unique, representative SA gifts?

Staying in Sandton area for the final 2 days after being out in the country on safari. Looking for some unique gifts that would be representative of South Africa. Obviously I do not want anything that is a result of exploitation of wildlife or people. Perhaps some clothing, hats, fabrics, necklaces, or artwork supportive of the locals would be even better, within a price range from something as a token (a few dollars up to say $100 - 150). Any suggestions of what and where I may find something unique South African gifts that will compliment our memories of our adventure in South Africa?

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Felleng Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Pilanesberg Safaris and Tours
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Ekala Eco Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

you can buy mini african drums covered in leather, bead bracelets, perhaps more user frriendly items would candles, cutlery and crockery that are designed and made in africa, theres also crapets made of animal hide, wooden animal sculptures etc...

visit the craft market in rosebank.. if you are visiting kruger park(mpumalanga) - this is where most safari's are, the same traditional african items will be much cheaper and authentic as the craft market does charge a premium! the craft market is in the ROSEBANK shopping mall, anyone and everyone can direct you here, from the airport your best bet is to use the gautrain as they have a stop at the mall. the craftmarket is open 7 days a week and the sunday rooftop market is open on sundays. visit rosebank anyway, there cool restaurants.

goodluck.

Im a shoppaholic and live in the centre of jhb, never heard of cambanos

7th avenue parktown is too far to walk, okay actually its just 3km away but not easy to navigate.they should charge you about R100 because the car taxi service is mainly for tourists. theres lotsa awesome restaurants in parkhurst/parktown so deff still worth a visit.

Edited: 4:49 pm, October 18, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
74 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

MadamBK - thanks for the info. As much as I'd like to shop while in Kruger/Botswana, I am limited to 20kg luggage limit, and that includes my carry-on! SO only when I am leaving on the international flight will I be able to check an additional duffel bag with things I buy during my last 2 days in Jo'burg. I think we'll skip Cambanos, even though it looks like one stop shopping for all things South African!

I'm also encouraged that you say you live in the "centre of Jo'burg"; an expat has just warned me, again, not to go downtown whatsoever! And she's from Jo'burg. I personally haven't read anything bad, but was also warned by yet another friend who has traveled extensively throughout Africa.

I'm excited and looking forward to my trip, but these "warnings" have given me pause. I'm sure there are equally dangerous places in the US, but perhaps it's the randomness or the fact if something occurs, one feels more vulnerable being in a foreign place?

I intend to stay positive, take usual precautions and enjoy myself in the wonderful and exotic place!

Mentioned in this post
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

Hi there!

As with everyone - I really HAVE to recommend the craft market of Rose Bank, it is WONDERFUL!

When I used to live overseas and would visit our beautiful SA, this is where I would stock up on gifts.

You can get everything from jewelry to place mats to ornaments here, and REAL South African things. Art is quite big too.

You will have a magnificent time there - I often spend hours alone in there! Why not stop off at Fournos restaurant, next door to the market, for a brunch afterwards - they do lovely chocolate croissants :-)

All the best!

Jacqui

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

Regarding the Rose Bank Market: As for truly South African things, I stay away from all of the dark wood sculpted items, they are almost all from Malawi and not SA at all. And you can find all of those things back in the states at your local World Market.

I look for hand stitched cocktail napkins with African characters, Zulu beaded items. The small ones we get by the handfuls and tie them on to our gifts at Chrtimas time (or anytime) and people love them! Can be repurposed as key rings or ornaments. I also love the telephone wire baskets. These are not cheap, but look for well made ones in all sizes. They are virtually weightless and can easily be packed in your luggage. For really cheap things, we get the hand painted matchboxes, note cards, magnets that are cute little gifts. Also, little beaded bracelets for the little girls. I always have a large box of the matches on our fireplace mantle. Hand painted table runners and placemats are great and can be washed.

For more expensive gifts, I look for chess sets made with hard carved prices, some with their own stands. (may or may not be from Malawi, but haven't seen these back in the states so they are worth it!).

Hope this helps! Be sure to do a walk around before buying anything. Being your first time there, you'll get lulled into the first shop thinking you've just found the most unique thing, and then four stalls away you'll find the same thing, only cheaper and better made. So just be firm and let them know you are only looking first, then will come back if they have the best deal. Then when you do you'll feel better that you got the best craft at a fair price. And they do negotiate. (my first time I bought some little art work that was so cute, only to find half the other stalls had that same thing and some were better than others). So be firm, because they are VERY pushy and aggressive at getting you to buy from their stall. But hey, it's their livelihood, so I just laugh with them and have fun now that I know how to deal with them. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Malawi
Malawi
Africa
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

Oops some typos, sorry!

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

Hi, i took guests yesterday to Art Africa in Tyrone avenue, Parkview. it is absolutely fabulous! my guests were overjoyed at the selection of goods which are sourced carefully and benefit a whole host of African communities. They are very reasonably priced as well. Definitely a place to visit...Types of goods range from beadwork, cloth, ceramic, wire products, paintings, just awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Art Africa
Art Africa
2 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
17. Re: Unique, representative SA gifts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 15, 2013