We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

Vienna, Wien...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

Flying into Jo'burg in a week or so. First stop on a 4 month trip. I'l be checking in one travellers rucksack, and won't be packing anything of value in it - clothes and toiletries is all. Wasn't planning on wrapping or locking it since I figure that would only draw attention to it.

If it gets tampered with I'm not too fussed, but I am a little concerned that the bag might just not turn up.

How likely is that? I've read some conflicting accounts on various web sites. Do entire bags go missing here any more than at other airports?

As I said, losing a few items of clothing won't be a big deal, but I only have one night in Johannesburg before heading off on a camping trip so it will put a real dampener on things if my entire pack goes missing at the very start of my trip and I'm left with just the clothes on my back.

Would appreciate any of your experiences.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

Hi there, I have been in and out of Johannesburg many, many times, and my bag has always arrived safely. Personally, I would say don't worry unduly about it.

Regards, Tracey, Travel Butlers (I have been missing from these forums for quite a while, hopefully back again now to contribute regularly again ...!)

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

Hi,

I have been in the tourism business for 8 years.

In that time, I have met 1000's of visitors at OR Tambo.

In that time, I have had two occasions where luggage went missing

It was the fault of the airlines ( can happen anywhere in the world), and the luggage all turned up a day or two later.

In one case, it even followed the clients to Zimbabwe.

In other words:

Dont Worry, Be happy, and enjoy your visit

Vienna, Wien...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

Cool, thanks.

I figured I shouldn't worry over something that's out of my hands anyway - guess I'm just experiencing some pre-travel anxiety.

Thanks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

Never had one thing missing at Joburg airport and we have flown a lot of time already, in and out.

Have a good stay, Annemieke

5. Re: Johannesburg Airport - Should I worry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 15, 2013