We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports in December

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Topic
Sports in December

I am in Johannesburg in late November and early December, I doubt I will find an ice hockey game to see, but I would love to see a popular sporting event which is easy to get to from airport hotel. Rugby, soccer, something I will understand (heh i figured out Aussie rules Football in Sydney) if i see it. Not sure what is played in SA but I am not a cricket fan. Anyway the atmosphere is the fun.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports in December

Rugby will be over for the year.

Although there is an international Sevens tournament (that Canada takes part in) held on the first (or maybe 2nd) weekend in December, but that is in Port Elizabeth.

There will be cricket, although our national team are probably still in Australia at that stage.

Soccer then?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports in December

Sevens is on the weekend of the 7th and 8th of December.

Last year I sat behind the parents of probably the best Canadian player. That was really good.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports in December

You should definitely go & watch a cricket match, although it's probably a bit too sophisticated to understand for a red blooded Canadian.......eh! ;-)

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports in December

For some local culture go to a jukskei event. Other sports will be golf, athletics, boxing, martial arts, to name a few. There is an ice hockey league in SA, http://www.saicehockey.org.za/, but they don't list any schedule info so you may have to contact them to find out if they are still playing while you are in country.

5. Re: Sports in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 14, 2013