We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

Hi there,

I will likely have half a day in Johannesburg at the end of our trip to South Africa around 21st July. I would really like to do something such as visit Soweto/the Aparthied Museum, but I am not sure if this would be suitable for my kids? We live in Kenya, point being that they are used to different types of lifestyle and ways of living, but I am still not sure how suitable what I want to do would be.

Any ideas welcome! I don't want to, if possible, do shopping/fun park etc as we will have had a lot of that in Durban already.

Thanks

Sonia

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

I your little childeren like to go to Gold reef city theme park, perhaps that is nice for them.

www.goldreefcity.co.za/

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

The Apartheid Museum is a pretty grown-up experience so probably not suitable for your children; and I don't know that they'd get much out of a tour of Soweto or any other residential area. Gold Reef City is about fun and play, but isn't that what kids that age do?

If you're set on something educational, consider Maropeng, www.maropeng.co.za . I haven't been there - put off by the obviously juvenile focus - so you'll have to decide for yourself if it caters for children as young as yours. If it's a nice day you could combine it with a picnic at the Walter Sisulu Botanical Garden which is - more or less - in the same general area - http://www.sanbi.org/gardens/walter-sisulu

Just make sure you give yourself enough time to get to the airport in the traffic.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

I agree with the reply above, in that Maropeng will probably be your best bet, unless you are "creationists".

This is "do able' in a half day, but ensure you get back to the airport on time for your check in.

It will NOT be possible to do the botanical gardens AND Maropeng together in a half day.

Soweto may be interesting to the kids, but the Apartheid museum ... much too adult, even for most teenagers, in my experience!!

Regards

Gavin

Owner: Serval Tours & Transfers

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

Thanks all for the information. I should have said we will be landing late morning, then spending the night and flying back home the next morning, so we should be OK re airport etc. Its a shame re the Apartheid museum, but yes, I can see how it would not be suitable for my children.....

Sonia

5. Re: Half day in Johannesburg with 4 & 5 yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 29, 2013