We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far In advance did you book your safari?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
How far In advance did you book your safari?

Hello,

Would appreciate knowing how far in advance most people are booking their safari. Also, did you use a credit card to make the deposit.

Thank you!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

For me it depends on the size of the lodge (and the season). If it's small and highly rated, early. I can always search around for another option if I screw up and wait too late.

If I have my heart set on one special lodge--I do it right away. I actually booked and paid in full (with flexible dates) Kapama Karula last November because it was a steal! I have until Nov 4 this year to arrive, space available.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

I normally try to book a year ahead as once I get my heart set on somewhere, I take badly to being told it's not available. I've already booked for August 2013 - and even then, I had to change my dates to get the lodge I wanted.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Sandy, I LOVE that photo!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Give us some more info. Are you looking at private reserves or KNP and what time of the year?

Paying your deposit with credit card, when dealing with a reputable establishment is normal.

In any case, the sooner you make up your mind, the better.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 4:53 pm, June 07, 2012
New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

I usually book around October for the following August. I never book airfare until I can confirm dates with the lodges I want and then build the trip around the safari. For my trip this August and for my last one in 2009, I had to slightly alter my dates for lodge availability even booking in October for August.

To answer your second question, I always use a credit card and I also always use a travel agent for my bookings. My payment is to the travel agent who in turn pays the lodge. My agent in the US works with agents that have operations in Africa so the payment might be to the agent/operator in Africa but is always with a cc.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Good advice regarding waiting to book the airfare. We're planning a private reserve in Sabi Sands. This is for a special wedding anniversary, which would be about a year and a half from now.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

If you've got your heart set on a specific lodge or lodges, know the dates you want and the lodges will take bookings that far in advance then I can't think of a reason not to go ahead and book it.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

I agree that as soon as you have decided on a specific lodge and dates, you should go ahead and book it. Many of the good lodges show very high occupancy rates long in advance, so to avoid disappointment, it's always best to book as soon as possible!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

You can use your credit for a booking, that is pretty normal here in S.A.

Most of the time if you book a lodge (in a privat game reserve) the safaris 2 twice a day are included! If not you can book them at the lodge by email, ask your your host when to book them.

Here are some good lodges, we have been and were super!

bakkersbandb.com or www.kurhulalodge.com orhttp://www.casartgamelodge.com nearby Kruger park or in Madikwe The bush house.

Or in Welgevonden privat game reserve.

Have a good time.

Annemieke - owner of Thathch22-

Edited: 10:50 am, June 11, 2012
10. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, June 20, 2013