We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

Washington DC...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

Hi - I'll be in Joburg for a few days later this month and then will be meeting a friend in Lesotho. Thanks to all the helpful suggestions on this board, I've decided to stay in Melville and am prioritizing my "to do/see" list. I'd be interested in your thoughts re:

1. Tours. I know I want to do a full day Soweto tour. Should I wait until i get there or arrange now? Recommendations for tour agencies?

2. My guest house charges R400 each way for airport travel. Seem reasonable? Any suggestions for shuttle services?

3. Transportation. It doesn't look like the gautrain has a Melville stop. What's the best way to get to Jo'burg central district and other areas? How accessible/user friendly is public transportation generally?

4. Any other advice you'd like to impart!

Mentioned in this post
Melville
Melville
276 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

Wel renting a car is a good optios to go around. Pulic transport is not good here.

For super good tours go to www.firelightrours.co.za and contact peter or petra/ You can arrange already my email your tour before hand, no problem!

A shuttle service is airport link, bur they are more expensive I think. or the contact Firelighttours also.

have a good stay and take some winter clothing with you. it is winter here!

cheers, Annemieke

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
692 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

Hi,

Does your guesthouse have any recommended tours? You'll likely be arranging your tour online or by phone anyway, so you can book it before you arrive.

Depending on what time you arrive, Gautrain might be an option to take it to Park Station and have your guesthouse collect you from there, which should be cheaper as it's much closer.

Unfortunately our public transportation (except Gautrain) is not as integrated and user-friendly for someone who's visiting. You'd be best, and much more convenient, to hire a car if you are able to. Else you can use local metered taxis to get around, try www.rosetaxis.co.za

Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
5,007 Reviews
Park Station Inn
Park Station Inn
6 Reviews
3. Re: Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:48 pm, June 18, 2012
Washington DC...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

Thanks for the responses! I've contacted Firelight and a couple of other tour operators. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty booking because it's just me and most seem to require a minimum of 2 people. I hate driving but I'm going to look into renting a car.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

You always can have a tour by yourself, perhaps you pay some more. Just ask a quote from Peter. (mentions my name Annemieke form Thatch22 in Kyalami) p.

cheers, Annemieke

6. Re: Advice on trip to Jo'burg/Lesotho

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, June 20, 2013