We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would we be okay just staying at the airport?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,910 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
would we be okay just staying at the airport?

another question as still undecided. Have 2 nights and one full day in Jo'burg before morning flight to Maun. Had thought to stay in either Sandton or Rosebank but now wondering if we'd be just as well staying at teh airport and simply taking the Gautrain to an area for some sightseeing/and or using a guide and driver for the day. There will be 4 of us. Am trying to get a sense of how long it will take to get to airport in the morning from Rosebank.. accommodation I'm thinking of is about 2 kms from Gautrain and then Gautrain is at least 30 minutes right? What is traffic in Jo'burg like in the mornings?

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Gautrain
Gautrain
4,986 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
998 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

Is the prefect date package available only to couples? We are family of 4 adults and looking for 2 rooms. And in 750 rand it is sounding to good to be true. Is there any thing which I am missing on this?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

It's not available any of the 6 dates I put in--evn tho they weren't in my trip plans. Just pick any promo--like the Greek one and put in your dates and request 2 rooms. Do not choose a specific hotel--they will give you which hotel has what rate after you select Emperors Palace. It is a very poorly designed website. Just play and work any angle you think might do some good. I even tried the Sunday night option--6 wks in a row and nothing.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
998 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

I tried on 6 September and they showed availability in 750 rand. But is it valid only for couples?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

why would it matter for 2 people?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
400 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

Good day

As suggested already, for peace of mind I would go for City Lodge at the airport. It's modern, reasonable priced and you are right at the airport. Typically City Lodges do not come with a restaurant that serves meals over and above breakfasts. In my experience City Lodge's usually have a restaurant chain located close to the hotel that would serve as the hotel's restaurant. In that case I think this role would be played by the airport restaurants, which are unfortunately situated at the terminals.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,481 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

Kyshel

At City Lodge there is not a full service restaurant but there is a bar, coffee shop and breakfast area.

From memory the breakfast started at seven am but as we are already well on the road by then we have not eaten there. We usually leave the hotel around five am after having our breakfast at the mugg and bean in the terminal, I think they may be open 24/7 and it is an easy walk. There are also restaurants at the terminal just as dezign99 has stated.

If you look at the website you will see the hotel location above the car park as well as a picture of the rooms.

Edited: 8:58 am, June 05, 2012
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
998 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

Thanks alot for suggesting peermount at 750 ZAR. I booked 2 nights there.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

there no restaurant facilities at the airport hotel itself. there some fast food one at the aiport.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

Do you really want some peace and quiet! Go to www.soulfusion.co.za, they have airport transfer and also they can show you around the city if you like and do another Tour!.

good place to overcome your jetleg!

20. Re: would we be okay just staying at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:48 pm, June 18, 2012