We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

Bucuresti
1 post
Save Topic
Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

Hello,

I have only cash, no cards. What is the best currency to take with me in South Africa, US dollars or Euros? (for easier conversion in Rands)

And where is the best place to exchange the US dollars or Euros in Rands? (airport, hotel, other?)

Many thanks!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

We have pre paid our accommodation and car hire. Need to change $ for zar. Would i be better doing this at JNB airport, or sandton shopping mall? Any recommendations on banks / bureau de change?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

I am transiting through Johannesburg and require USD, can someone tell me if I am able to get USD without going through customs and if so where and what rate/fees??

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

You say you are transiting - presumably from Australia to somewhere else in Africa where USD is directly taken - it is not in South Africa. If this is the case, to change AUD to USD in South Africa cannot be done directly by any mainstream bank or forex dealer. They will of course be happy to do the transaction for you. But you will be charged two sets of forex fees. One for AUD to Rand and then the second to change Rand to USD. You never see the Rand, you just get the charges - cannot see this being much less than 10 percent in total!! Not even sure you can do this airside at Joburg airport?

Don't understand why you don't just change to USD at a bank at home, (from whatever your home currency is) and bring the dollars with you? Just one set of forex fees!

Edited: 6:11 am, January 08, 2014
Melbourne
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

I will actually be having an overnight in Joburg, so if there is any place I can use my credit card to withdraw USD with fee's less than 2%?? The problem is I am not in Australia, I am heading over to South America where USD's are virtually impossible to get. I thought it might be easier in South Africa, maybe not :(

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

Rossmaster 1, AFAIK, no, you cannot use your card to withdraw $$..

The only currency you will be able to draw with a card, from an ATM, will be ZAR.

The bureaux de change will change your own currency into Rand, and then the Rand into $$.

You will have to pay for two exchange transactions.

As Van_De_Caab says, change the currency into $$ wherever you are, and bring them with you.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
67 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

Old question, new question :)

Is it safe to use ATM at the airport? Is there some limits? And do you know actual rates in exchange offices at the JNB airport? It should be about 14 ZAR for 1 Euro...???

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
67 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

Please :)

Jupiter, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

where is best place to exchange dollar to rand ? I heard airport ATM are best rate please confirm or tell me where

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

When you arrive through the sliding doors, head left and walk past the Amex and Travelex desks until there are red Absa signs to your left. There's the ATM. But be careful, there have been reports that people have been followed from the airport, do not look too insecure/ lost/ rich. When we went there, there were armed guards hanging around the ATMs so definitely no one lurking around there. As a precaution we withdraw just one maximum single sum and more later when we visited a mall.

Jupiter, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Currency Exchange in Johannesburg

is it better to get rands in US or when arriving in SA where do you get the best rate no fees?

Edited: 8:02 pm, June 20, 2015