We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

johannesburg airport

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
johannesburg airport

Does anyone have any upto date info about getting from International terminal A to Domestic Terminal B at Johannesburg Airport. Is the new transit terminal completed yet, how far a walk etc

Also does anyone have any reassuring info about luggage which didn`t arrive with locks smashed, cases slashed & contents stolen as I can find nothing but horror stories

Ant other useful tips for Johannesburg airport greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone

London, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi, I'm sure there will be signs to direct you, otherwise walk up to the info desks and ask.

Earlier in the year my luggage did not make it with me after a connecting flight in Dubai, but was sent the next day and delivered at my door.

This month, after another trip from SA via Cape Town, my daughter's lock was broke but fortunately nothing stolen, but then again, there was nothing of great value in there. We always carry all our valuables with/on us.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: johannesburg airport

Thanks Purple girl

I never take anything of value in checked in bags but its just the inconvenience if your locks are tampered with & the thought that someone is going through your stuff

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Best wishes

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi Housebuilder,

Sorry, didn't see this post earlier.

It's a 5 min walk from Terminal A to Terminal B (maybe 300m, inside the building), and up two sets of escalators. It is well signposted. The flight status displays will indicate your check-in counter numbers.

phila
Level Contributor
277 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: johannesburg airport

1. Bushkid is right on the money. Do be sure to spend some time at the shops restaurants on the second level and ALSO, if you can, the duty free shops which are really great.

2. Funny how you always see the worst stuff on websites. I advise taking the ugliest looking luggage you can, packing as lightly as you can, and putting nothing of value in your suitcase. We had no trouble, nor did we see evidence of anybody else having had trouble. This was after taking about 8 different flights.

P.S. - There are a lot of people shucking for tips. They are mostly harmless but annoying. You don't have to give them your luggage unless you want to, and if you can handle your own bags, you'll feel a bit more in control.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: johannesburg airport

Tahnks for tips

Best wishes

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: johannesburg airport

Thanks Buushkid0

Your directions are very helpful

Now I know THAT time I know I have 2hrs & a bit left to clear all international controls & then check my luggage onto my domestic flight. Hopefully I will make the connection (if my international flight isn`t delayed!!)

So taking off the check in time required of 1hr for the domestic flight that leaves me not much more than an hour to collect luggage & clear international passport control & customs.

As you seem very knowledgable do you think that is possible

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi Housebuilder,

You should definitely be able to clear customs and immigration within an hour. They've recently improved handling systems and immigration, and we normally count on guests clearing customs within 50 minutes to an hour of landing, but sometimes an hour and 15 minutes.

As long as you reach the check-in counters by about 45 mins before departure time, you should be fine. Hopefully you're not flying in on the big Airbusses. They usually have to park a little way away, and disembarking takes a little longer.

Don't worry to change money at the forex bureaux; you can draw from an ATM at either airport. Usually easier, cheaper and MUCH quicker.

Enjoy the trip!

Edited: 4:53 am, February 24, 2012
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: johannesburg airport

Hi BushkidO

Thankyou so much you have been so helpful, I won`t have to worry on the flight now

You know so much about the airport, do you work there?

Thanks & best wishes

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: johannesburg airport

Lol! Housebuilder!

I work there sometimes ... or often ... it depends.

I'm a safari guide and small operator.

Edited: 8:21 am, February 24, 2012
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: johannesburg airport

Thanks so much Bushkid0

Its nice to have advice from an expert

I am so looking forward to seeing South Africa

All best wishes