We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed and breakfast Around Sandton

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new zealand
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
bed and breakfast Around Sandton

Hi can anyone suggest a good bed and breakfast close to the Sandton city shopping Mall preferably within walking distance if poss.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

What is your accommodation budget and how long will you be here? With or without children?

If you are wanting to be within safe closed walking distance you may want to consider staying at one of the two small Holiday Inn Garden Courts in the immediate precinct. Otherwise the Balalaika Hotel, or The Courtyard are good not-pricey options (both these are close to Village Walk) and close to Sandton City.

There are plenty of B&B's in Parkmore, but even though it is very close, I would not recommend walking. On the map, it looks like you can walk right up 5th Street into Sandton City, but there is palisade fencing all along Grayston drive, separating Parkmore from Sandton City precint, so the walk is a long way round and certainly not recommended, not least because it is a steep uphill, and you would have to walk through a not-so-nice area.

The Don Suites: Sandton III and IV are within walking distance. They are self-catering units run like a smart hotel and offer up to 3 bedrooms.

Many Sandton B&B's do offer transport. It depends how flexible you are and exactly what you are looking for. There are taxis available from Sandton City and you could always phone for one from your B&B. Good suburbs for this option are Inanda, Atholl, Parkmore, Illovo, Benmore, Duxbury, Morningside.

Feel free to ask more detailed questions.

Penny

new zealand
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

Thanks for that information. Actually I don't have to be in Sandton someone told me that it was the best place for shopping. I don't mind where I go asl long as it has good shopping Obviously it is not advisable to walk in Johannesburg but close proximity to shops by taxi would be great too

new zealand
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

oops I forgot to mention I will be on my own and really only want to pay around R400 max

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

For Sandton, search for a B&B in the suburbs above - there are plenty in your price range. However, a few taxi trips a day will soon add up. I think you are better off over the road from Sandton City at one of the two Garden Courts for under R700 per night.

The major shopping centres in northerb Johannesburg are Sandton City which adjoins Nelson Mandela Square, Fourways Mall, which is close to Fourways Value Mart, Cresta in Randburg, Clearwater Mall in Roodepoort and Rosebank Mall which has a weekend fleamarket. In Pretoria you might want to consider Menlyn Park. Towards the airport is the East Rand Mall and Eastgate Shopping Centre. What are you planning to shop for?

new zealand
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

Just clothes etc nothng in particular so it doesn't matter which mall I go too so I guess if there is one closer to the airport then I could stay out that way Ihave no idea how far away these places are from the airport.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

East Rand Mall is the closest to the airport, but still several kilometres.

Sandton is about 40 minutes drive outside of rush hour (when nobody can actually rush!)

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

We just returned from Joburg to attend a wedding - we stayed at the Melrose Place Guest House - very nice, check out their webpage - the staff and owner were fabulous..they have a full time driver who can take you to Sandton Mall, a few minutes drive away...Very nice place without the chain hotels prices...

Good luck and have a great trip!

Sue

London

new zealand
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bed and breakfast Around Sandton

just want to thank every one for their help re accommodation etc I have decided now to stay out by th airport and shop at east rand so just need to sort out accommodation there