We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Kruger

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Kruger

Seeking suggestions or cautions about driving from JNB to Kruger?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Kruger

Just get in the car, lock the doors and point it in the direction you want to go. From my limited experience, the roads are not too bad and driving standards adequate. Don't stop and wander around in areas that look a bit scary.

If you're driving to the far north of the park, consider stopping overnight somewhere.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Kruger

Buy an SA map book. Leave Jo'burg around 9am after the traffic, heed the large warnings signs on the N4 about crime and don't stop on the roadside - there are plenty of garage/restaurant complexes in the area. Once you get past Welkom you are in small-town territory. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. At the moment everything is so green from all the rain, take a detour or two, have a leisurely lunch somewhere. Make sure you get to your gate at Kruger before closing time!

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Kruger

I forgot to mention that the N4 eventually splits and BOTH sections are called N4! It doesn't matter which route you take, both come out at the same point several kilometres later.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Kruger

At which gate are you entering Kruger?

PS - On Saturday when I left Kruger, 3 of the 5 southern gates were closed because the roads were flooded.