We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gautrain station at Sandton

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Topic
Gautrain station at Sandton

We are thinking about taking the new high-speed Gautrain from JNB to Sandton where our hotel, Michaelangelo (at Mandela Square) is located. We would like to know if the Gautrain station at Sandton is within walking distance to our hotel (Michaelangelo), or we have to get a taxi. If so, are there taxis waiting at the train station?

Also, is it safe onboard the train?

Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions.

sg2000

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

Hi,

The highspeed Gautrain is fantastic. It takes you from O.R. Tambo Airport to Sandton in 12 mins. and runs exactly on time. It is absolutely safe as there are security guards everywhere!

Michaelangelo Hotel (Mandela Square) is 100 meters from Gautrain/Sandton station - you can easily walk this distance in less than 2 minutes.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

Thanks very much, TouristGuide, for the quick and informative response.

sg2000

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

I had the same question. Will have quite a few hours to spend at the airport - in march. As a girl alone i was in doubt. I know SA, even lived there, but JHB and public transport always gives me the creebs a little bit. Glad to read it is safe.

All I could find was info during the worldcup. Your comments are recent.

Thanks and have a good trip

Pittsburgh, PA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

Once I'm at the Sandton station i need transport up rivonia road to my hotel. Is there a taxi stand there or should i try to arrange for my hotel to send a shuttle or something?

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

The only thing I can say is that the Gautrain is very convenient. I used it about two weeks ago. From there on I think most hotels can arrange a pickup or a reliable taxi for you. What about asking the hotel what they can arrange and compare that to the info you get here on the forum?

Have a good trip!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

The Gautrain gets to to the Sandton station and there own gold coloured busses transport passengers from the train on a number of routes. There is a route that goes up Rivonia Road - quite likely that it will go pretty close to the hotel if it is on Rivonia Road. The link to the information about the busses is here - …gautrain.co.za/Assets/Download/Gautrain_Bus… The website for the Gautrain is www.gautrain.co.za.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

Just reposting the link without the fullstop. www.gautrain.co.za

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
77 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

We are a group of 8 and don't want to deal with taxis from the station. What other hotels are in walking distance.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

Why not use the Gautrain bus service?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gautrain station at Sandton

Why not make use of the Gautrain bus service?