We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Joburg

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxis in Joburg

Can anyone tell me the best way to get a taxi from the Johannesburg Airport to my hotel. I know when you come out of customs sometimes you get mobbed and you don't know if the people approaching you are licensed or not. Sometimes I've seen actual taxi queues so you know you might be in the right area. What about Joburg. Are their official taxis

South Africa
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Joburg

the best is to book a shuttle to your hotel.

In South Africa we don't have taxi Qs...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
986 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Joburg

As African said, enquire with your hotel if they can organise a shuttle service.

We have two kinds of taxi's in South Africa and I think most of them are licensed. You get the Kombi type of taxi which transports massive amounts of people to and from work every day - they hold about 16 people or so. Then you get the car type of taxi which is like a normal NY taxi - there should be some of those outside the airport.

Otherwise try Magic Bus which is a shuttle service - www.magicbus.co.za

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Joburg

Thanks for the tips. I have contacted my hotel to make the shuttle arrangements. I also went on the Magic Bus site given and found that the prices are a bit cheaper but they will have more people with more stops so I think I'll go with a private transfer this time.