We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san Francisco, ca
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

Hi!

We have a overnight layover in Johannesburg in mid-February and our travel agent booked us into an airport hotel for the night. However we get in around 3 pm and so I was thinking we'd have time to go into town and at least get dinner. And I was thinking that dinner might be at Carnivore.

Does this seem reasonable? Logistically, is it worth the time and expense to go into town (we'd probably take a cab)? How is the neighborhood around that area?

And, is Carnivore Restaurant worthy of our one, precious night in Johannesburg? As it's our first night in South Africa, I'd like to go somewhere unique... Is there someplace better anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

Greetings again Isybela,

3pm is a great time to arrive. However, beware falling asleep right away, stay awake until night and sleep through till morning. That said, I would check into the Mondior Concorde just minutes in a beautiful black shuttle from the airport at Emperer's Palace. There you have a restaurant called Tribes, book a table and feast on warthog, kudu and impala, then retire to your beautiful room at the Mondior close to the airport. Your agent did a good thing booking you close to the airport! Even if its not the Mondior there are lots of great places to stay, and better, Mondior is very reasonably priced, and lots of places to eat without the driving hassle in the morning. Plus, Tribes has game on the menu!

matt bracken

san Francisco, ca
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

Thanks for your suggestion! I agree with you about trying to turn one's internal clock around as quickly as possible. Tribes restaurant sounds great and a good alternative to going all the way into the city, especially if we're exhausted from the flight. I still might want to venture into town though, since it's our one chance...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

If I were you I wouldn't venture into Johannesburg itself - far too dangerous just to go for a meal. Take the advice of the previous poster and go to Tribes - well worth it.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
30 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

From the airport to carnivore its a long drive. Carnivore is in the west end of Johannesburg and the aiport on the east - so they are on the extreme ends.

I think tribes sounds like a better idea, and less of a mission to get to.

West Malling...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

Been to both restaurants and they are both very good. Piets is quite right Carnivore is nowhere near the airport and neither are "in town".

6. Re: One Night in Jo-burg--Carnivore Restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 19, 2009