We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Taking a trip to SA in March 2009 and want to stay a couple of days in Johannesburg. Hotels on trip advisor are either too expensive or not very nice. We tend to love boutique hotels and B&B's but one must be very careful to research them carefully. What are the nicest SMALL hotels in Johannesburg? We need something in the middle price range ($100-150 USD per night).

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Nice to see another Angeleno here. I'm going to SA in February. I heard and read some terrific things about a place called the Peech Hotel. It's a little more expensive then in your post but may be worth it. Google them. The NY Times reviewed the hotel about a year ago and there have been favorable reviews here too.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Thanks! I will check out the Peech. Following are a few others I have heard about so let me know if you know anything about them:

Oasis Luxury Guest House

Bryan Manor Guest House

Africa Sky Guest House

A Room with a View & A Hundred Angels

Melville Guest House

Umfula Indlu Guest Lodge

Guesthouse 61 on 5th

Many of them are B&B's and they all look quite nice from the photos. Would love some personal feedback on them.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

I had clients at African Sky Guest House a few weeks ago and they were very positive about it - but its location might not serve you well as a "base" for being in Johannesburg. Lots of driving, if you stay there. Better suited for an overnight when you need to be nearer the airport. I think you ought to pick your spot based on location, as well as price - and that might be a challenge, since you don't know the city that well. I don't know the other places in your list - but one in Rosebank would be a good choice, or Sandton.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

What about Melville? Would that be a good location?

Boston...
Level Contributor
279 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

My wife and I stayed at Melrose Place Guest Lodge (a B&B) in Rosebank/Sandton on our trip last July. The staff there was extremely friendly and we would go back there in an instant. It was interesting to meet the different people from around the world at breakfast, the coctail hour and dinner. It seems like the lodge has a lot of return customers from people who travel to the Joburg area a couple times a year.

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Hi

I would recommend the Melrose Arch Hotel, as it has a variety of Eating Places and is not as isolated as the other Guest houses , where u would need to call a cab or hire a car for almost anything.

Depending on whether u want a quiet time in JHB

- THE Westcliff Hotel is more suitable.

or if u like the nightlife (coffee shops etc)

I would suggest Melrose Arch.

Sameer

RSA
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Hi Lisa,

Your best bet is to do some reseach on Rooms for Africa (Google them).

They are very informative and the system is very user friendly. Check out the specific guest reviews and ratings on the various establishments - that will give you a very good base to work from.

Regards,

Willie.

johannesburg, south...
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Hmm the price that you expecting to pay is a little low for a 5 star establishment.. (Hyatt Hotel, InterConti usually go for around 300USD but never-the-less.. :)

Try the African Pride in Melrose Arch, Peech, Ten Bompas, The Rosebank or try seeing if you can catch any deals at the Radisson SAS which is to open in Sandton early 2009. I know its not exactly a small hotel (over 100 rooms) but its ought to have the Boutique feel.. And there should be offers, pre-opening..

Try 10 2nd Avenue, Houghton if you are interested in B&B's.. Its in Houghton, The same suburb which Nelson Mandela lives in, is 5 streets away from me and got a Quintessential feel to it.. But then again the price would be peaking in the 200's (USD) per night..

Or if you not that amped to be staying in the hustle&bustle, try the Maropeng.. It is an attraction and boutique hotel, located only 45 minutes from Johannesburg and Pretoria in The Cradle of Humankind..

Hope that I was of some assistance..:)

If you have any queries or questions on anything else on SA, be it restaurants, hotels, car rental, domestic airlines.. etc.. please do not hesitate to ask via private messaging.. I would be pleased to help.. :)

Warmest of Regards

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

Look at www.portfoliocollection.com

10. Re: Nicest Small Hotels in Johannesburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 15, 2009