We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

Travelling soon to SA. Will have one day in Johannesburg before going on safari trips. Debating a tour for Cradle of Humankind - is this tour a good way to spend my one day there? Read about Paleotours - are they the best one to use? Other recommendations??? Also, what can I expect for weather mid September in the area (Krueger, Botswana)??

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

Is the POPE CATHOLIC?.........Yes it is a worthwhile visit coupled with a HALF DAY TOUR TO SOWETO.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

Re the weather in Kruger, Botswana - it's beginning to warm up in Johannesburg, so imagine it will be hot by mid-September in those areas. There may be some spring rains by then, but so far in Johannesburg, there has been nothing.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

I do realize that COH is worthwhile or wouldn't consider it - question is:

whether to spend my one day in Johannesburg on a full-day tour (w/ Paleotours, rather spendy but may be worth it?) to COH?

or to do a half-day trip to COH (w/other company) and the other half doing other things in J'Burg as well...

thanks.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,561 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

I'd like to hear from visitors who have been to the Cradle of Humankind recently. When I was there after it

opened, I came away feeling the place was just too, too passive without enough substance.

5. Re: Cradle of Humankind - Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, October 09, 2009