We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

Our intercontinental flight arrives late in Jo'burg… around 10pm. With immigration etc. we probably leave the airport at 11pm. I've heard it's one of the unsafest cities in the world. Is this a problem when we drive to our hotel short before midnight?

We are thinking about booking the Kelkiewyn Lodge in Bedfordview, which seems to be just 15 Min. from the airport. Anybody stayed in this Lodge and how is Bedfordview?

Thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

Not a good idea to drive around in a strange area in Johannesburg late at night. Suggest you find a hotel that offers a shuttle service or ask the Guest House to arrange a transfer.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

if you want total convenience, the intercontinental is 50 meters from the terminal. if you want free shuttle then the emperors palace has 3 hotels on the compound with a shuttle. it is a 4 minute ride. none of the shuttle run past 10 pm i believe. you may ask your agent to book a "meet and greet service and road transfer" to the hotel. it will cost some money but worth the cost.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

Berlin,

On my visits to Johannesburg, I found the crime fears greatly exaggerated. With a car, on the freeway and near your hotel, you are unlikely to see any trouble.

That being said, you could stay close to the airport. For example, the hotels on Barbara Road are only 10 minutes from JNB airport. You go straight on the airport parkway, Route 24, direction: Johannesburg, and get off at the Barbara Road exit, which is less than five kilometers from the airport.

If you're like me, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the places where tourists go in metro Johannesburg are friendly and liveable. The same is not going to be said for townships and the immediate downtown core, but there are no hotels or tourist facilities in those places anyway.

We stayed in the Parkview area of Johannesburg (we did not arrive late at night, though) and found it safe and appealing. We were able to go out to dinner in the evening and to stroll the streets in the morning with ordinary people out for their walks. We never saw any sign of trouble, and from what we could tell, the ordinary people out and about didn't either.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

Thanks,

The night flight cost 300 Euros more… so we will book the cheaper day flight.

We won't drive on our own but is a pickup service safe around midnight? It's just that I have these pictures from the movie 'Tsotsie' in my head.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

the late service and driver will be available but they will charge extra for after 9:00 PM. it will still be much less than E300!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

My personal opinion is to make travelling a pleasure and not a chore. After a long flight, it would be more relaxing to get someone else to do the driving. Get a decent hotel room as close to the airport as possible or find a hotel that has a free shuttle service.

The Citylodge group of hotels are excellent both in quality and value. Take a look at www.citylodge.co.za.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
994 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

There is a Southern Sun Intercontinental Hotel directly across the road from the airport (within the confines of the airport). It's quite pricey but literally within walking distance of the arrivals area at OR Tambo. Another Southern Sun hotel is slightly off the airport - you would need to arrange for a taxi to take you there. Taxi's are perfectly fine as long as you get a metered taxi. Otherwise, the hotel will be able to arrange a shuttle for you, I'm sure. www.southernsun.co.za

Failing those two hotels, there are City Lodges - again very close to the airport - www.citylodge.co.za - there are various 'standards' -ranging from The Courtyards, City Lodge, Town Lodge, Road Lodge - in descending order.

Bedfordview is a very nice area - it's a residential area and quite close to the airport, but definitely not as close as the two chains of hotels above. 15 minutes could be right, but I would say about 20 minutes from the airport, by the time you are off the highway and into the suburban streets. I don't know the hotel/guest house personally though. If you decide to book there, why not ask them to supply a pick up service.

If you are flying off again the next morning, then I would say it makes sense to stay close to the airport - you won't see much of Jhb in any case except hhighway.

Don't worry too much about crime etc - if memory serves me correctly, Tsotsie was filmed within the township areas and you won't be going anywhere near there.

Regards

8. Re: Arriving late in Jo'burg… Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, October 04, 2009