We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - crossing borders

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire - crossing borders

Hi there

my daughter wants to hire a car and travel to a few neighbouring countries. They are a couple of students and I wondered if there could be a problem say, going to Botswana. Is there a carhire company that does not make it too diffiult for people around 24-25 yrs of age. i think it might be a problem in Europe, that is why I ask.

This will probably be in the next day or two as they finish their project in Ithuba, Gauteng, today.

Thanks for any info.

Lizby

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire - crossing borders

Lizby

Assuming that they fit the criteria - usually over 21 and at least three years since passing their driving test, this shouldn't be a problem. Most hire company websites that we looked at contained info about conditions for border crossings - usually a small extra fee, although some countries were "out of bounds" - suggest a few minutes research should give you some reasonable pointers.

Vienna
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire - crossing borders

Hi there,

Really appreciate your feedback.

They are all over 21 but don't know details about person driving. Will pass that info on - they are exhausted as their project finished in Ithuba just two days ago and I know they had v. little time for internet access, on site for 7 days a week.

Will probably call her today and give her this info and some links.

Thanks again

Lizby

3. Re: Car hire - crossing borders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 21, 2009