We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for taking bus?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe for taking bus?

Since I don't have private vehicle, I intend to go to some places like Maseru, Kimberely(don't know if I will go) by bus as the travel books suggested. However, is it advisable to take bus to these places? Because I can't find other cheaper way as I want to save money.

Thx!

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for taking bus?

SA does not have a public transport system that is safe /clean do your self a favour and DO NOT get in a taxi !! , I would therefor recomend you spend the extra money and hire a car. after living in SA for 33 years till recently I know what i am talking about.

TVG
Pretoria
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for taking bus?

Hi there,

The previous post on your enquiry is not giving you the correct picture. Travelling by bus between the major cities in South Africa (and neighbouring countries) is quite safe and affordable. Please refer to the RSA Greyhound service at www.greyhound.co.za as an example of what is available. There are other similar services as well.

As for taxis - there are two types. The first type is a commuter service that runs specific routes and is not suitable for tourist travel. The commuters board these Taxis next to the road.

The other is the normal type of taxi service that you phone, they pick you up and deliver you to your destination. This second type of Taxi is totally suitable for short local trips. For example whilst we were on holiday at Chakas Rock in Natal my wife once made use of a local Taxi service that had a flat fee of app R60 for local trips.

You can thus consider travelling between cities by bus and using local Taxis or a rental car for local travel.

All the best

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for taking bus?

TVG's post is more accurate or at least more informative than the first post.

There are buses (safe ones) between the major cities - not sure about buses going to Maseru though, but I'm sure there will be a route to Kimberley.

Again, two types of taxi - what we call the minibus taxi which offers a commuter service to the majority of South Africans - from the townships to the suburbs of the cities. A tourist probably wouldn't hail the minibux taxi simply because there are signs you need to make and need to know in order to find out where they are going.

Then there is the normal type of taxi that you would get anywhere in the world - however, these you generally would need to phone the company because it's not like New York where they are just driving along the streets and you can pick one up easy.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for taking bus?

I feel more safe after hearing what you say.

But is the bus station near downtown? How to make sure that it's safe when I am waiting for the bus?

5. Re: Is it safe for taking bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 19, 2009