We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melrose Arch Hotel or the Westcliff? Help!

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Melrose Arch Hotel or the Westcliff? Help!

We are staying in Jo'burg for 3 nights in April 08, but cannot decide between our shortlist of 2 hotels - i.e. the Melrose Arch or the Westcliff.

This is our first time to Jo'burg, but third time in SA.

I know you could not get two more different hotels - one all hip and modern, the other a bit stuffy and colonial. But I can see pros and cons for both.

Security is a factor for us, as is standard of facilities. I keep favouring one and then the other, but my preference at the moment is the Melrose Arch for its quirky and random feel, and because you can walk out of the hotel to the restaurants in Melrose Arch.

On the other hand, we stayed at the Westcliff's sister hotel in Cape Town (the Mount Nelson) a couple of years back, so expect the same sort of treatment there.

Finally, the review pages on this site rank the Westcliff higher, which puzzles me.

Any tips/words of advice out there would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

BAZ1977

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melrose Arch Hotel or the Westcliff? Help!

Hello,

I've stayed at both and personally I prefer the Melrose Arch of the two you've listed (though my personal favourite is actually The Saxon). The Westcliff is a bit isolated and to me seems a bit stuffy -- if you want a traditional hotel with a warm welcome, I'd recommend looking at The Grace. The views from the Westcliff are certainly amazing though!

One of the things I liked most about the Melrose Arch was being able to walk to the restaurants. That's pretty rare in Joburg unless you stay at one of the places adjacent to Sandton City like the Michelangelo.

One note -- Melrose Arch is a lively neighbourhood with a vibrant nightlife. This is great when you want to go out, but sometimes the music can penetrate the double glazing on the windows (leading to the noise issues some people have mentioned). If you want a very quiet room, request one in the back of the hotel. FWIW I'm a light sleeper and I was fine with a room in the front, but the volume probably varies depending on what group is playing.

Cheers,

Julian

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melrose Arch Hotel or the Westcliff? Help!

Many thanks for the response. Very helpful. I would love to stay at the Saxon - but the cost (circa £400 a night) is rather steep.

Are the rooms at the Melrose Arch all that they suggest they are?

Brent

3. Re: Melrose Arch Hotel or the Westcliff? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 16, 2009