We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Johannesburg airport

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marlow, UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Johannesburg airport

We will be arriving by bus from Cape Town and need to get to Johannesburg airport. Options for getting off the bus are Johannesburg, Midrand and Pretoria. We don't want Johannesburg as we wish to avoid Park Station due to safety concerns. What is Midrand like? Is the bus station safe? Will it be easy to arrange a taxi or transfer from there? Would it be better to just carry on to Pretoria and get the transfer from there?

If the bus is due to arrive at 8.45am into Pretoria, what time can we reasonably expect to get to the airport? Do the buses usually arrive on time? How long would the transfer to the airport take?

Has anyone had experience with Airport Shuttle http://www.airportshuttle.co.za? Any other recommended taxi/transfer services?

Thanks for your help!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Johannesburg airport

I'm sorry no-one else has replied to you but I'm afraid I won't be much help either!

I am not familiar with the bus station at Midrand as I've never been there, so don't know if it would be safe. Also not sure about taxi or transfer from there. You may want to try AA Metrocabs which are run by the Automobile Association - www.aa.co.za - they are apparently designed for the tourist.

Pretoria to the airport I would say driving in a car would take about an hour, maybe a little more, so allow more than that again on the bus, as it may stop on the way.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Johannesburg airport

Park Station is not that bad. Maybe late at night but if you get there during day, security is around and go wait in the bus area waiting sation for a taxi. CAll safe cab 0861665566 or the driver i use - otto 0849386832

Jhb
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Johannesburg airport

Hi there. I used a company last week called JP Travel and Tours - they were efficient and on time. Run by Warren and Margaret 0720240919.

I arrived from Perth at 5.30 am and my pre-arranged shuttle did not arrive. They more than made up for the non-arrival.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Johannesburg airport

Recent visitors to us were delighted with the Sandton Shuttle - the easy way to the airport, or anywhere else, any time. Phone Robert on +27 82 850 8844 www.magicmarketing.co.za

5. Re: Getting to Johannesburg airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 09, 2009