We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with private game safaris in Dec. 08 for R1,700 p.p.

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Help with private game safaris in Dec. 08 for R1,700 p.p.

Travelling as a family of 5 and planning our holiday for Dec. 08 pref. xmas/new year period which I know is the most expensive time (so am trying to keep budget to a minimum). Will pos. fly out ~15 Dec (before flight prices double!), returning early Jan. Planning on being in J'burg for xmas week visiting family then rest of our holiday 5-7 nights in Cape Town, 1-night Sun City (if budget permits), 3-4 nights Safari. It will be 2nd visit to SA (for my husband & I), & whilst we are doing relatively similar locations as before would like to experience different accommodation (1st visit as a family). Already experienced Nkorho Game Reserve in Sabi Sands, President Hotel at Bantry Bay Cape Town. Can anyone recommend a good private reserve pref. nr. j'burg but could be nr. kruger for approx. R1,700 per person per night. Also any reasonable 3/4* hotels in Cape Town for the New Year (we have teenagers with us so need some entertainment) and a venue for a new year's eve dinner dance. Ideally, we are hoping £1,500 per person for this trip - any ideas on how we can achieve this would be appreciated?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with private game safaris in Dec. 08 for R1,700 p.p.

To my knowledge there are no private game reserves near Jhb which have the Big 5 - not top class ones anyway. Your best bet would be Kruger Park. However, in December, the temperatures are in the 40's! And you need to be aware of the mosquito problem at that time of the year. So it may be quite uncomfortable in the Mpumalanga area. But if you decide to go, then you could try the following websites: wwwgetawaytoafrica.com; www.go2africa.com; www.siyabona.co.za

Hotels in the Cape Town area - one is the Peninsula which is very close to the President Hotel in Seapoint - it may be classed as a 5 star though; check out hotels at the V & A Waterfront. The Waterfront itself should be buzzing a new year and the Waterfront's website should give you all the info you need. www.waterfront.co.za

Stg1 500 per person sounds good to me, but it would depend on whether these amounts take into account your flights, meals and accommodation, spending money etc. If your flights/car hire are excluding this, then sounds like you will have more than enough.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with private game safaris in Dec. 08 for R1,700 p.p.

forgot to mention that you may want to try the Cape Town forum for more info on hotels and nightlife over new year.

3. Re: Help with private game safaris in Dec. 08 for R1,700 p.p.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 04, 2009