We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Hi

New to this forum as just booked a trip on a great fare so wasn’t planned but now excited looking at safaris etc.

I have found a safari via Kruger Park Travel that meets our needs and cost.

However, they are asking for full payment even though this is not till next June. I can’t find much on these guys - so is this normal and how do safaris at more popular places book out early or should we just wait closer to the time.

Thanks for any answers

Cheers

12 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

If you like a specific place or have a specific budget then it is better to book early. All companies work differently but normally you would pay a deposit and then the remainder 60-30 days prior to travel or at least what the lodge requires.

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Don't think this is unusual.

Don't you pay your airfare in full, before flying??

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

What do their terms and conditions say?

See also: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312…

Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Thanks sandy much appreciated

Gavin I may pay my airfares in full however most accomodation I either pay a deposit or on arrival so for me it’s unusual to ask in full 10mths beforehand,

Cheers sandy when I read the terms I actually thought I would only pay 50% so thought I would ask on here if this was normal for these places - I shall have a look at your link too so thankyou 😊

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Hi Jacks24, you are correct, it is unusual. I've booked many tours over the years and have never paid more than 50% upfront. Usually the balance has to be paid 30 - 60 days prior as mentioned in post #1.

I did a fair bit of research before booking my Africa tour and found there are some great local tour companies over there, (although I ended up going with an AU company). Some contribute to this forum, but of course do not (and cannot) advertise.

The link sent through in post #3 is quite helpful and I think mentions a couple of these.

Cheers

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

There are so many ways to book travel in S Africa and tours to Kruger are generally not the best way to get the best experience/best value. We need more info to help.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Most of the day tours that I booked in South Africa required me to make full payment at the time of booking. But I generally found the conditions for cancellation to be pretty reasonable. Cancellation fees became applicable only if cancellations were made like a week before the actual tour date.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Thankyou sally your advice is much appreciated as well as MRahul and cbir.

I think atm I will keep researching - I like what they put together but am a little bit hestitant to commit so much money 10mths before.

Looking forward to coming there as it was a bit of a quick decision after qantas had some sales so I wasn’t prepared for going to Africa for a few more yrs - so starting to do my research - for some reason and I am a seasoned traveller this seems a bit harder than most of my holidays as so many tour companies 😊

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Do you need an agent?

It is very easy to do things yourself in South Africa. If you are wanting to stay in the Park,you can book through SAN Parks website or phone them.

Or if you are wanting to stay in a Private Reserve, then approach ones that you are interested in yourself.

If you want to do a tour, Wild Wings gets good reviews on here.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment

Hi lisasplaces I am not sure I think my main thing was getting transfers to the park we picked and that they seemed to bundle it all in one.

I think though I shall have a bit more of look at doing ourselves - can I ask is there a time you should book by I.e do the more popular ones say book out early - we are looking at end of June 2019

Cheers and I appreciate the help here 😊

Reply to: Kruger Park Travel requiring full payment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted