We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finishing our Safari in Joburg...help!

Oregon, USA
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finishing our Safari in Joburg...help!

Hello,

My husband and I are taking a 2 week safari in June. We will have 5 days in Joburg following our tour to relax before flying home to the States. (We do spend one night in Joburg during the safari. We will stay at The Grace Hotel)

So our question is: Where should we stay?

Back to The Grace Hotel in Rosebank? They seem to have mixed reviews on tripadvisor. But are adjacent to a shopping mall with restaurants, and such. Seems like safety is pretty assured in this neighborhood. Would you suggest this? Or is there another hotel in this area that would be better.

Or the Intercontinental Palazzo? Is this in Sandton? They seem to be connected to another casnio/shopping/dining area.

Or a different choice?

We would really appreciate your input. After dashing around SA for two weeks, we are looking forward to have a relaxing 5 days. But wouldn't mind the opportunity for sight-seeing around Joburg...if it's safe enough. That's our main concern. The Grace claims to have a travel desk on site to help with local arrangements...

Please help! We've run out of time and have to book! :)

Thanks

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Finishing our Safari in Joburg...help!

I disagree about the Saxon. Dont get me wrong, it is a very nice hotel, but personally I prefer the Michaelangelo in Sandton. It is part of Sandton City shopping mall with the greatest restaurants and shops, so you do not have to drive anywhere. The traffic can be hectic around this area, which again I think make the Michealangelo such a good choice. Why dont you split you stay between the saxon and the Michealangelo, so that you can experience both? I also know that it will be much cheaper if you book these hotels through a local travel agent in South Africa or on their website.

Regards, G.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Finishing our Safari in Joburg...help!

Have read all the comments and also recommend the MichaelAngelo Hotel in Sandton, especially if you want to walk around and have dinner at different restaurants at night.

If you haven't booked or planned any trips around Johannesburg you are welcome to contact me to assist.

Difficult to travel around Johannesburg and you would need someone to take you around. Wonderful city to visit, lots to see and do

13. Re: Finishing our Safari in Joburg...help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 01, 2009