We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Hotel or hotel in town?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Topic
Airport Hotel or hotel in town?

I will have to spend one night in Jo'burg to catch my return to Asia the following morning.

For old times sake I would like to spend the day in a hotel in Rosebank as I have all day to kill.

However, I'm rather concerned about the security situation i.e. how safe is it to travel from the airport (will arrange hotel pick-up) and back to the airport?

How safe is it to wander around the shops in Rosebank. I remember that a while ago our Bangkok Post daily reported about a shoot out in a shopping mall in Rosebank.

I spent many years in Johannesburg but in safer times.

Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Hotel or hotel in town?

I was last in Rosebank 2 years ago and spent plenty of time at the shops and markets there - all without incident and while feeling 100% safe.

While in SA we always drive around with our car doors locked - we do this as a precaution and we have never had any problems at any time.....we always hire our own hire cars so not sure about airport transport.

Don't worry so much about your time in Joburg - its a holiday in a fantastic place- you should be excited not scared! We are going to Africa again in September and to be honest I am most excited about our stay in Joburg!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Hotel or hotel in town?

No worries about being in Rosebank.. and if you haven't been there in a few years, you will be stunned! Lots of improvements to the shopping, restaurants, traffic. If you're lucky, and are there on Sunday, the rooftop market is better than ever! Best price for a hotel? Probably the Rosebank. But there are several there.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Hotel or hotel in town?

Tks for your advice. I'm rather safe than sorry despite "JNB being a safe place". Don't kid yourselves.

It has become quite clear that S.A. is no longer the well run place it used to be. so far I have not had any reply to enquiries with different hotels.

I guess I'm spoiled by living in Asia.

4. Re: Airport Hotel or hotel in town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 23, 2009