We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in South Africa!!!

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in South Africa!!!

Before you all start, its just a passing through trip for a weding and I have added on a few more days...

I will arrive on the Monday evening in Joberg, and have "free time" till the wedding on the weekend.

I want to go to Sun City, relax and play golf DEFINATELY!!!

What else is your recommendations?

Costs?

SAFETY???....(this has been on my mind as Im travelling alone.)

Advice/Do's and Don'ts appreciated!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in South Africa!!!

Since you already in the Northwest, I suggest you go to Marakele or Madikwe.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in South Africa!!!

Your short trip will encourage you to come back for longer!!!!

OK - you go up to Sun City and hopefully it being still in our summer/springtime, you will get a tan before the wedding.

If you do go there, then either check the prices at your side or go into their website - www.suninternational.co.za - prices will depend on the time of the year you are going and whether it's within Gauteng school holidays - at that time it's a lot more expensive.

Golf at Sun City - either at the Gary Player Golf Course or the Lost City Golf Course. However, depending on the time of the year you are going, either of these courses could be closed for various reasons, ie maintenance, various corporate golf days, but it's definitely best to book your game beforehand.

Recommendations - assuming you are flying into Johannesburg and you are either hiring a car to get to Sun City (2.5 hours from airport) or are arranging to go there by bus (bit longer), you could spend Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday there - leaving on Friday; but maybe you want to just have two nights there - but whatever, either leaving aon Thursday or Friday - you travel back to Jhb and spend the night in a decent hotel or bed and breakfast place; then book a tour to either Soweto/Apartheid Museum but it depends on what you are interested in.

Can't tell you about costs because not sure when you are coming - but to my mind Sun City is not particulary cheap, even coming with Stg Pounds.

Am assuming you are a 'golf loving' woman as you mention 'safety' and 'travelling alone' - if you are a woman, then you certainly wouldn't wander around the streets of Jhb - same goes even if you are a man.

Safety is a concern - especially right now when our government unfortunately (don't want to get into a political arena) are not acknowledging the problems. If you are hiring a car, drive up to Sun City - or anywhere else - in daylight, no valuables showing, no handbags or wallets or cell phones on passengers seats. If you sense danger at night, with caution you are at liberty (maybe not lawful) to skip the red traffic lights.

But whatever you will still have a fantastic time here and want to come back for longer!

Mentioned in this post
Gauteng
Gauteng
South Africa
Soweto
Soweto
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Apartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum
5,163 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
3. Re: 1 week in South Africa!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 20, 2009