We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Which Kayenta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Hi,

I know you can drive the 17mile loop on your own but what is the current condition of the road? My parents went several years ago and said the road was generally fine. Like us, they had a mid size hire car so I need to read the rental agents small print etc but any recent trips anyone?

Otherwise we will get a native tour at 9am - we are staying at 'The View' but I would prefer to drive and take my own time etc.

Thanks

23 replies to this topic
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Do get the backcountry tour with a native guide, you see much more and you get the background.

We last drove the 17-mile loop on our own a bit over a month ago with our Jeep - it's really dismal in long parts - basically you're not allowed to take a rental there in any case. You shake, rattle and bounce pretty badly. We watched a sedan right in front of us go down in the sand and get stuck good and proper ... ok, it was the driver's mistake for going down the middle where the sand was deepest and then spinning the wheels like a fool, digging himself in deeper, but still ... save yourself the trouble ...

Edited: 10:45 am, July 05, 2012
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Road conditions can vary everyday esp after an afternoon rain in summer. It's not 17 miles either. Just app 13 miles without detours. Never took a tour ourselves and drove that road for at least 3 times. An SUV is recommended for the first (and last) part.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Asking what the current conditions are today is pointless, since it can be entirely different tomorrow, especially now since the monsoon has begun. Parts of Phoenix got 3 inches of rain yesterday. Other parts got none. The same can happen at Monument Valley.

Take the guided back country tour. It will be a much better investment of your time and vacation dollars.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Thanks,

I will be doing enough driving the rest of the trip so I will let someone else take the wheel and I can fully enjoy the view! And the hassle/cost if I got stuck is a lot more than the $75 tour I’m sure!

I hadn’t realised about the rain. Is it quite unpredictable during the day? Or is like some temperate climates and rolls in at a certain time of the day? We are looking then to get a tour first thing in mid August at 9am before driving to across to Grand Canyon village.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Monsoonal thunderstorms typically build up in the afternoon and dump huge amounts of rain along with high winds and thunder and lightening. The cells are compact and fast moving. Observing these storms from the GC or MV can be an awesome experience. You don't want to be in a wash or run off area though as the flash floods can carry away cars, trucks, trees and anything else in their path.

Level Contributor
36 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Interesting - I am looking at driving this next May....but maybe not now! We drove the Diamond Bar Rd to the Grand Canyon in a RV convertible this April (roof up!) only to turn around and head straight back. Clearly we should have done our research (carried away in the moment from Lake Havasu to Las Vegas)

SO doing some research this time.....and getting an SUV (Ford Escape). RV again so probably won't risk it if RV's shouldn't be on these roads....

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

My husband and I went in May, before the rains hit. We done the back country tour. I left like I was in the washing machine on spin cycle as we rode along. I would not dare take a chance on messing up a vehicle. We loved every moment of the tour and DID NOT HAVE TO WORRY ONE BIT ABOUT DAMAGE TO A VEHICLE!!!

Pay for the tour and let someone else take the risk! MV is to enjoy ....not worry!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,785 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

Clembo: RV = rental vehicle? In the US RV = recreational vehicle, or caravan in European terms. Generally a truck chassis with living quarters built upon it.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
190 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

I just went there and this is a heads up for everyone considering the drive down into the valley. DON'T. The road is HORRIBLE, and I don't mean just an unpaved road horrible. I have been here several times, but the road has deteriorated to the point to where it is very dangerous and not useable. WARNING-WARNING-WARNING

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.

I'd say unusable is vastly exaggerated - we did it a month ago ... but horrible it certainly is. Dangerous as far as you can get a car w/o 4WD stuck in the sand yes. I'd advise anyone considering it with their own vehicle to go very, very slowly.

Reply to: Monument Valley Scenic Drive - Road condition.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted