We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An hour or two in PE

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
An hour or two in PE

I a traveling with a group of career teachers through South Africa in July 2012.

We fly from Cape Town to P.E. arriving at 7.30am, then drive up to Grahamstown to visit Rhodes University. We expect to be beack in P.E. by 5.30 pm, the same day, and have a flight to JNB at 8.00 pm.

Would there be somewhere where we could go for an hour or so to have a drink maybe overlooking the ocean?

Or should we just head to the airport?

I know it is a short time we have in P.E.

Thanks in advance.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: An hour or two in PE

Try Barneys on the Beach front good beer good view of the ocean.

Alternatively try Richmond Hil, lot of very good cafes and restauarants with pavment dinning.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An hour or two in PE

Hi,

I would head straight for the Boardwalk where there are lots of restaurants, lovely places to sit, relax and have a drink and lovely views to the canals, beaches and ocean. Airport is close by and taxi fares very reasonable.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An hour or two in PE

Thanks. Barney's it shall be.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An hour or two in PE

I am in a similar situation. We are scheducled to be dropped at the airport at 4:00pm and depart to to JNB at 8:00pm. Is there enough time to check bags then get a taxi to the boardwalk for a quick bite/drink then back to airport?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An hour or two in PE

Yes, the Airport is small and very close to the Boardwalk. Just be sure your

Airline will be open for check-in at 4 p.m.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An hour or two in PE

Cool. Thank you!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An hour or two in PE

We did end up at Barney's. It is a great pub with good food. And as everyone here says only 10 minutes to the airport.

8. Re: An hour or two in PE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 21, 2013