We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

We will have a full day (perhaps 2 days- if our arrival date can be moved up, don't know yet) in PE prior to going on safari in Hlosi. I know it's not a lot of time, but would like to make the best of it and see the highlights. Suggestions?

We are very active walkers and I am a former pro-photographer, so scenic things would be great. for pictures.

We arrive at 21:30 the night prior from a long trip from Chicago, so are planning to take a shuttle or taxi to a hotel and and looking for ideas on where to stay where we could walk to things-if possible.

Would prefer to keep the hotel costs around $100-$130 US-if we could...

Thanks-

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

Hi,

The City Lodge Chain has hotels ideally located next to the Board Walk which is where most of the activity is and where it is safe.

Should you be staying over a weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) then you can get half price rates on their Bid2Stay "specials". Courtyard is the best, then City Lodge, Town Lodge and Road Lodge in that order.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

This is a great website to look up things to do and see in the PE area.

nmbt.co.za/attractions_port_elizabeth.html

Hope it helps! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

Thanks for the tips...I will check things out

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

For your budget I would recommend the brand new Town Lodge or Garden Court Kings Beach-(see my post elsewhere regarding construction behind the Courtyard Hotel). Scenic is difficult- it could be early 19th century architecture, wildlife close by (Seaview or Kraggakamma).

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

maps.google.co.za/…

I would recommend the Town Lodge just because it is less than a year old. The hotel is pretty much between Humewood and Summerstrand.

You can walk for a long time along the beach front, if you want to stretch your legs.

If your day falls on a weekend, I recommend that you go to Cape Recife Nature Reserve. During the week, I am not sure how safe it is, as you could be the only people there.

I suggest you drive around Marine Drive. The drive as far as Schoenmakerskop, where I live, hugs the coast and is quite attractive.

Edited: 7:29 am, May 02, 2011
Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
57 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

Have a look at Port Elizabeth Daily Photo - http://portelizabethdailyphoto.blogspot.com - to give you a better idea of what it looks like at the attractions around town.

7. Re: Port Elizabeth City highlights & best area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 19, 2012