We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

affordable game viewing ??

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
affordable game viewing ??

ok so i ve been on here alot and got tons of help so here is my exact plan

3 nigths in cape town

1 night ,montagu 7 church street guest house

1 night de denne ostrich farm oudtshoorn

2 nigths williamsberg mountain game reserve

this is all booked and now im trying to finalise the last 4 days we ve been on safari before so dont want to pay the big bucks to do it again but is there a more affordable option like an afternoon game drive or something or even a private lodge thats not offering the big 5 just lovely scenery and the odd zebra or something as we are flying out of port elizabeth addo springs to mind but is it easily accessable and affordable ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: affordable game viewing ??

Addo's a terrific, and affordable option and easily driven from PE. Take a look at the SANParks website: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: affordable game viewing ??

We are going slightly further north than Addo to stay at Samara Game Reserve (3 hours from Port Elizabeth by car). They don't have the Big 5 but the scenery looks absolutely stunning. We are staying at the Mountain Retreat, which looks incredibly remote - perfect. It's a lot more reasonably priced than the big game reserves, and I like the conservation work that they are doing.

All I have to go on is the website. I'll be able to tell you more at the end of October!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: affordable game viewing ??

One option is to stay at Addo and then do a day trip or 2 to Amakhala or Schotia or Pumba. I think Bushman Sands also does game drives for non-residents. And there is Sibuya which used to do (still does?) game drives and river cruises for non-residents.

Other option is to spend 2 days at Addo and 2 days at Schotia or Amakhala Woodbury Tented Camp. www.amakhala.co.za/index.php…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: affordable game viewing ??

Hi,

Addo will be the cheapest and (probably) your best option. Being in the neighbourhoud I would definitely visit Addo. Did see 90 Elephants in 1 afternoon and lions for several days. Very nice hide next to the camp. The good thing about the San parks is that you can drive yourself, therefore stopping where you want and for the time you want. Tours are provided or you can pick up a guide yourself (at the entrance)

As mentioned before check Sanparks.org about accomodation(book in advance) and more info.

5. Re: affordable game viewing ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 24, 2011