We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card reservations...advice needed...

hants, uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
credit card reservations...advice needed...

hiya...i have decided to book a safari, and to secure the reservation (by email)...they would like me to send my credit card details and expiry date via email, or fax, or phone...

i am wary because this is not a Secured site, and no protection against fraud, or theft is given by my credit card company (should the email be read or intercepted by anyone...)

i am now hesitant about what i should do?....no payment required yet, simply the card number to secure my accomodation etc....

hjas oanyone been in a similar scenario and can anyone offer advice ??...Obviously i DO want to secure my reservation but....Not take any unnecessary risks...........

any advice- Much much appreciated thanks.

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

Easy send it over two emails by 1234 *****5678****

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

Hi; you do not say which establishment requires this? At the end of the day, if it is a well known place, well, you should have no problems, but yes, send through 2 emails. Worst case scenario, you know what that is, and, well, your bank covers it. only about 1 % of people are 'out to get you' so, err on the side of trust in my opinion.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

Hi Worsie

Think it's a lot less than 1 percent!

Credit card details are passed all round the world billions of times per day. The most unsecure is when you hand your card to a merchant who handles to card through a machine (possibly rigged) which can copy the electronic information on the card as well as the numbers. Just passing numbers via whatever means is more secure.

In SA there is often a further security step which protects you and the merchant further in that they will ask for a faxed or e-mailed copy of the credit card to prove that you actually hold it. Again as no encoded information is passed (Mag strip or Chip) this is secure.

E-mails being intercepted to get CC numbers is mostly Urban Myth.

england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

The world wide web is notoriously leaky. You have no knowledge of the hotels anti virus system. We thought we had cracked it by sending some details by e mail and the the rest by fax. However we found upon arrival that they had put all details on one computer file. We even came accros a hotel in Camps bay that wanted us to e mail them a copy of our passports to ensure we were genuine. Sceptical of this we rang them and they said it was to prevent credit card fraud. We are frequent visitors to S/A and find the whole system frustrating and worrying.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

It is common practice when not using and online booking and payment system, like e.g. Nightsbridge.

You should see how many emails (very obvious having CC fraud in mind) we receive.

The process is just to make it more secure for both parties involved. There is nothing wrong with asking for a copy of the passport of the CC holder to make sure the card will not be used fraudulently.

If any transactrion is in doubt, you are able to request chargeback within 3 months. The receiver of the payment has then the obligation to proof, with a signed CC transaction slip and a copy of the CC produced at time of payment that the transaction was authorised and correct. If all this is not available, the money will be deducted/has to be paid back, within days.

The one loosing is the establishment and not the guest, please bear that in mind.

I like VdC's stats! Nice to state the relation between (perceived) risk and real abuse.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

"The world wide web is notoriously leaky".

Well I can only state my personal experience but I am sure it is typical. Over the past ten years I have done hundreds of CC transactions across the web using encrypted sites but usually non-encrypted sites or e-mails. I have never had a fraud or issue that has been traced to the "leaky web".

On the other hand I have had cards copied or cloned in the UK (several times) in the USA and in South Africa over the years - all tracable to a manual transaction - in some cases where I am sure the card was never out of my sight, so the swipe machine was fixed to clone the electronic information and my PIN.

But then to confirm what Klaus says ALL fraudulent transactions have been quickly reversed by my CC supplier and I have never lost a cent - even cash advance charges and extra interest has been reimbursed. The losers however very often can be the merchants and the common practice of requesting copies of cards and ID or passport information which is demanded for remote transactions by many banks here in SA, is an excellent additional safeguard, both for the merchant and the card user. It proves that the person making the transaction physically has the card and is who they say they are and is not just using the numbers obtained fraudulently.

Mentioned in this post
england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

A couple of very good points have been made explaining why passport and c/card verification is required. However the starting point seems to be that as a client we are under suspicion from the outset. In businesss trust is everything. A previous poster states thet he has made many c/card transactions via the web without a problem. Lucky is the word that springs to mind. In the past 2 years in England a number of web attacks have taken place using sophisticated techniuqes. They contact online banking customers and pretend to be the users bank. The web page looks real and so some users have been taken in and have given details of thier account. As for my assertion the the web is leaky Ican only refer to my anti virus provider who fotunately can tell me if a web site is suspect. Having checked the last 24 hours of repeled attacks on my pc 147 were from phishing. Some small hoteliers do not have the luxury of encrypted software and so are liable to attack. We are asked to put our faith in a system we know nothing about but that faith is not returned by the industry. All we are looking for is balance.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

for those who are anxious, we offer EFT (electronic funds transfer) a much more expensive way of money transfer, especially internationally, whereby all charges are for guests account (as I believe we can't be held financially repsonsible for those who do not trust the systems).

Whoever is in doubt, ask your establishment for banking details. Most will accept if proof of payment can be delivered within 48 hours.

Again, in case of fraudulent use you can back-charge all CC transactions. So where actually is the problem??

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

"However the starting point seems to be that as a client we are under suspicion from the outset."

No, it is actually the opposite. The merchant is simply making sure that someone else is not masquerading as you, having obtained your CC details by phishing or whatever other means. As Klaus and I have said this is a requirement put on merchants by the banks - but also protects you and your bank.

The banks in South Africa have much stricter requirements under our Credit Control laws than the UK, US or other countries. This has been the key reason that out of the G20 countries, South Africa has been almost unique in having no Credit Crunch crisis due to excess and unsecured credit being issued by banks and other institutions.

Not that we love our banks, but no bank or financial institution in South Africa has gone down the road of Northern Rock, RBS, Lehman Bros, AIG and the others.

Mentioned in this post
hants, uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: credit card reservations...advice needed...

ok....!!...

thanks for all your replies...credit card number has been provided to secure my reservation!!....3 months to go....woo hooooo!......