We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

Hi all,

I'll be travelling by Greyhound on a Sunday morning in mid-Dec, arriving in Port Elizabeth with about an hour to spare before I need to check in at the airport. I assume that a taxi is my only option to get to the airport? Where is the best place to find one, and how can I be sure I will get a fair deal? I'm a single female traveller.

Thanks for any advice!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

The airport is not quite 4 miles from the bus station. I would find whoever is in charge at the station on a Sunday morning and ask help from that person. Yes, it will have to be a taxi and there won't be many choices, I don't expect. As for getting the 'best deal', you are at a total disadvantage if you expect to try to make a deal. Pick a number that you won't pay more than - maybe R100 - and start at R50 to see how you do. Maybe someone in Port Elizabeth has better advice - that's mine.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

I did look at the relative positions of the Greyhound station and the airport, and it does

not seem likely that the bus would pass close enough to the airport to ask if you could be dropped off before the bus station - but you might ask the driver anyway.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

Hi,

The Greyhound stops at a large shopping complex, Greenacres. To get a taxi you will probably have to call one and you can try one in the yellow pages. You can find public phones in the area. Alternatively you can try to use one of the local minibus taxis as there is a taxi rank (parking area) at the same location where the Greyhound stops.

If you get stuck in Port Elizabeth you can also always call Phindiwe at the "Mandela Bay Safari Club' and I know she will assist you with pleasure. (041 373 7758).

Enjoy the trip.

Johan.

South Africa
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

I picked up someone from the Greyhound Bus stop at Greencares this week - and noticed quite a few taxis arriving and queing for clients - so it probably wont be a problem.

5. Re: Taxi from Greyhound stop in PE to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 29, 2010