We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the distances between these places feasible?

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
5 posts
Save Topic
Are the distances between these places feasible?

Hi all,

this is a route I have gleamed from various posts for our 5/6 day trip down the Garden Route.

Is it possible and how long is the drive between each (my other half isn't always the best passenger!)

Port Elizabeth

Jeffreys Bay

Plettenberg Bay

Knysna

Arniston/ Waenhuiskrans

Hermanus

Cape Town

Many thanks

E&E

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

Hiya.

Heres a very useful website for you: www.saexplorer.co.za/general/distances.asp

Port Elizabeth to Jeffreys Bay = 75km

Jeffreys Bay to Plettenberg Bay = 168km

Plettenberg Bay to Knysna = 35km

Knysna to Waenhuiskrans/Arniston = 332km

Waenhuiskrans/Arniston to Hermanus = 112km

Hermanus to Cape Town = 108km

all seems pretty doable to me.

Happy Planning.

-----------------------------------------------------

Cambalala, Luxury self-catering, Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

That distance - Hermanus to Cape Town - is a little off. It's probably another 25km.. not a big deal. But I checked one of the distances on the site that I know very well - De Kelders to Cape Town (and I mean, in the City itself) and the real distance is at least 25km more. But, the site is a tool, for sure. I'll bookmark it myself.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

At the bottom of the searches it says:

* Please note that this distance is an aproximation as it was measured from small scale maps. Distances can also vary depending on the route taken.

Still a very handy tool though if the distances are even close correct.

-----------------------------------------------------

Cambalala, Luxury self-catering, Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview.

england
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

I have just read a peply to your post and nearly fell of my chair laughing. How dare someone be 25kms short! Dont you realise that people slavishly wach the trip meter and at the exact number stop the vehicle and get out expecting to be there. The replies to postings here are getting more bizzare by the week.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

Actually, speaking as the navigator when my husband and I travel, 25 kms. could seem like quite a big difference, especially when I don't know where I am going. It could lead me to believe that I had missed a turn-off or taken the wrong road.

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

we did a similr trip 3 years age. The longest stretch we did was from Cape Town to Mossel Bay, but even this wan't too bad. Mossel bay well worth a visit. Stay at Bay Lodge. Much better place to go cage diving with great whites too, as there is only one licenced boat operator so you won't be surrounded by loads of other boats. We saw 7 different great whites in one trip - unforgettable.

You could also have a look at Tranquility Lodge in Nature's Valley if you are still looking for ideas.

Admiralty or Carslogie guest houses in PE are fantastic too.

It's a great trip wherever you stay - have a good one!

7. Re: Are the distances between these places feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 10, 2009