We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with Addo area private game reserves

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
318 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
need help with Addo area private game reserves

Hello everyone, need your assistance:

We are planning to stay inside Addo at the SNAparks accommodations in the park for 3 nights.

I was thinking of going for one night to Schotia or Amakhala and then doing two nights at Addo, but prices are going up for next year and the US dollar has been declining against the Rand, now down to around 7.4-7.5 Rand.

So I am thinking we should just go to Addo for the 3 nights and then go do a day tour at Schotia and/or Amakhala.

Schotia is asking 600R for afternoon and evening with dinner. Amakhala has raised prices to 980R per person, lunch included.

I am trying to decide between Schotia and Amakhala or even wondering if we should do both.

Is Amakhala worth the added price? If we do Amakhala, should we see Schotia?

thanks,

Richard

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with Addo area private game reserves

Think if you do the 2 night Schotia package you get a day trip to Addo in addition to the morning/evening drives in their reserve.

Maybe worth considering but don't know the price.. sorry

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with Addo area private game reserves

Schotia is twice the price to stay in their accommodation as the Addo park.

I thought I would avoid paying double the price at Schotia by staying at Addo.

My concern is whether I should go to Schotia and Amakhala. Is Amakhala really worth 2000 Rand for a day visit.

I can do Addo, Schotia, and Amakhala as day trips and stay outside of the parks at a B&B, except the Addo park has accommodations at 600R which seems very reasonable for two persons. I am primarily concerned about what to see during the day. Spending the night at Schotia for 1400R does not make sense financially when Addo is such a bargain for similar facilities.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with Addo area private game reserves

If you are staying at Addo for 3 nights, my suggestion would be.

On your first night, book either a sunset or a night drive at Addo. These are about R250 for 2 hours.

On your second night, book a trip to Schotia.

Leave your third night free, and book Amakhala, if you found Schotia worth the money.

Amakhala is a bigger game reserve than Addo, and in my opinion better.

-----------------------------------------------

Alternatively, you should consider spending one night at Amakhala's Carnarvon Dale. It is the cheapest accommodation they have, so obviously it is not going to be the best. The rate is R1780, which isnt cheap, but it does include all meals, all drinks (normal alcohol, not expensive champagne) and 2 game activities per day. www.amakhala.co.za/index.php…

R1780-R960=R820 which is not much more and you get much, much more. A normal chalet at Addo will cost R300 a person (if there are 2 of you) plus R100 conservation fee. You will save R400 a person, but not get any meals, drinks or a morning drive.

So my actual suggestion, if there are 2 of you, is 2 nights at Addo, with a trip to Schotia and your last night at Amakhala Carnarvon Dale.

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with Addo area private game reserves

last time we visited south africa we paid fortunes to stay at a reserve called Lalibela. It was very good, but we saw ten times more animals at Addo than at the private reserve. This time we are going to stick with Addo, we'll see everything we want to see there for a fraction of the price!

USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with Addo area private game reserves

to above poster: Where did you stay in Addo?

6. Re: need help with Addo area private game reserves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 15, 2009