We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

Which Plettenberg Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
prag
2 posts
Save Topic
moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

hi ,

does somebody know how does it look at the plettenberg bay?

1. is there a lot of moskitoes? We will there with our child 16month old and I don´t know if I should take some moskito net for his sleeping at the stroller or crib, what do you think?

2.how is the weather in plettenberg, is possible to swim with him in the ocea at February and March?

3. Does somebody know bellamanga guest house?

4. Is there the risk or hepatitda or can he eat everything what I will buy at super market?

5. Do I need credit card if I want to hire a care or can I somewhere to pay by cash, how big is deposit?

thanks for your advises

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

1. I doubt if mosquitoes are a problem in Plett and it is NOT a malaria area. No mozzie net needed.

2. Weather is great then! Hot sunny days. Lovely warm ocean.

3. No I don't.

4, He can eat eveything. Just rinse all fruit and vegetables as you would at home.

5. I'm not sure, but I think you will need a credit card to rent a car.

prag
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

Thanks.

I was just wonder about weather, and temperature of water, because here is written forecast for 5 days and it´s only 21-23°C

wunderground.com/global/stations/68931.html

So how could be the water in ocean warm for swimming?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

5. It would be wise to pre-book your hire car. With most internet bookings you don't have to pay a deposit. You would certainly need a credit card to pay on collection and they also take an "impression" for a returnable deposit which is their security against the car/damages/petrol etc. I have never had a problem over this and they have always torn up the slip when I returned the car. Check carefully what insurance they off in the deal, often you only get CDW and Theft Waiver and they don't mention, or only in very small print somewhere, that you are responsible for any other damage than collision or theft. Most the larger companies supply virtually new cars and a very good as long as you don't have to make a claim. Just trawl through the websites and pick out the best deal. Do hire a car with air-conditioning.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

1. No need for a net, but have Tabard, Peaceful Sleep or equivalent just in case.

2. Make sure you swim where there are life-guards

5. I would book and pay for you car before you get here. e.g. Avis

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

If it is overcast it could be around 23 dgrees Celsius. It will not be cold though in summer.

The Indian Ocean is warm and you will enjoy bathing in the ocean I promise you!

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

Hi Janyllka,

From a Plettenberg Bay resident -

We do have a few mosquitos but not many. It will not be necessary to bring a net. Just use the mosquito repellant mentioned in other posts. We don't have the malaria mosquitos.

The weather is magnificent in Feb but can get very hot. We have recently in the last week had temperatures up to 38 degrees. Swimming is also superb - the sea temp is pretty warm but have no clue what the temp is, and your child will love it.

Have a look at : http://goplett.co.za/wiki2/index.php/Weather.

We have not heard of the guest house which is quite unusual. Check out the Plettenberg Bay site at : www.plettenbergbay.co.za and check with them if you require any info on the guest house.

You can eat anything and everything - we have great supermarkets and a woolworths which stocks similar food to Marks & Spencers in the UK.

As far as car hire is concerned you will need a credit card - no car hire firms will rent you a car without one. There are a few taxi operators in Plett who can take you around but they are expensive.

We even have restaurants that serve sushi and espresso's ....!!!!!

Hope you enjoy - will watch out for your comments on your return.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

1. Virtually no mosquitos, just use a coil that you light at night in the room or an electric ball that you put a tablet of repellant in (available at airports) if you have any worries. I have just come back.

2. When we left late Jan it was 26-28 degrees, sea nice.

3. no knowlege of guest house, try safarinow.com website

4. Pretend you are in UK, all standards are equivalent.All food is safe, supermarkets good

5. Hire firms will take a deposit on credit card against damage. Cards used widely but NOT for petrol. If possible get a Nationwide flexaccount going and put money in it. If you withdraw from an ATM abroad then you pay no commission

Just remember distance from Cape Town is about 7 hours driving. Many people fly to George and motor from there

prag
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

hi everybody, thank you very much for your advices!

I´m not so worried now. :)

Could I have some more question for you?

1. Can I drink not boiled water from the tap in the hotel? /for preparing ice tea for example /

2. How big is tip in restaurants? And is it in the all type of restaurant like fast food and steak houses?

3. Do somebody know some accomodation in the Caledon and Greyton? We will stay there just one night and I wrote at some of them, but they have probably no free rooms. Can I just come and not to book?

4. And last question :) Is something poisson in the ocean /beach/ or on the sand , or earth, which I should be carefful with our child?

Thank you everybody for answering me.

9. Re: moskitos and everything about plettenberg bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Plettenberg Bay