We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

Hello fellow forum people,

I have a dilemna which I amhoping someone on here will be able to help me solve.

On Fri 7th Sept my boyfriend and I are travelling to Cape Town and travelling around the Western Cape. Sounds great, yes! The problem is that on Sun 16th Sept, Cork are playing in the All Ireland Football final. I am a massive supporter and would really hate to miss seeing my team playing in the final (they have not won a final in 17 years!)

We will be staying in Plettenburg Bay the weekend of the final. Does anyone know of any Irish pubs in or near Plettenburg bay please? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for watching the match?

I know it might sound silly to some people wanting to see a match while away in the most beautiful countries in the world but I promise you it is a one off and the only reason I have ever had to/wanted to seek out an Irish pub while on holidays!

Many thanks

Yvonne

Cork
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

Hi,

I have the same dilemma. My girlfriend and I are flying to Cape town on the 8th I think we will be in the Knysna / Plettenberg Bay area on the day of the match also...

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Michael.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

I am assuming this is Gaelic football

Firstly, I doubt it will be broadcast on any of the sports channels of DSTV (our answer to SKY).

You can check on their schedule if you like. www.dstv.com

Secondly, South Africa is rugby or soccer (football) mad. Everyone in September in every pub is going to be watching the Rugby World Cup, although there aren't any really exciting matches that day.

Samoa v Tonga, 15:00

Fiji v Canada, 13:00

France v Nambia, 20:00

Dublin
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

Similarly looking for somewhere to watch it in Cape Town itself!

Dublin
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

Similarly looking for somewhere to watch it in Cape Town itself!

Cork
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

ernecliff,

There are Irish bars in Cape Town alright:

The Dubliner

251 Long Street, Cape Town

CATU Irish Bar and Restaurant

CBD, Corner of Burg/Hout Street, Cape Town

The Rockin' Shamrock

39 Loop Street, Cape Town

I figure one of them will definitely show game.

I'm the same as Yvonne, I'd avoid the Irish bars while in a place like SA if at all possible but I really want to catch the match... COME ON THE REBELS...

Michael.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

It has gotta be on TV for them to be able to show it. DSTV only has about 8 Sports channels. I checked the schedules and couldn't find it.

Your chances are very slim indeed.

7. Re: Where to watch Irish football final in/near Plettenburg Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Plettenberg Bay